The Longstreet Thread

  • eric
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2010
      I would like to comment on the James Longstreet effect out west...

      First off the death of johnston after shiloh.. and the south never really having placed a man in charge of the whole war out west.. well at least from the mississippi to the appliacians...joe johnston played that part poorly... and the lee and the pres.. sending generals out west they didnt want to deal with to the west.. left the west with like a dozen corps and army commanders.. for the whole war... instead of one mind to run the show...

      Now when Longstreet shows up him and Hood just add to the trouble...

      I believe it was longstreet wanting indep. command that started most of it.. he didnt want to remain in lees shadow.. he wanted to try and prove his defensive ideas.. but starting a fight with Jeff Davis friend.. Bragg.. wasnt the way to go about it....

      But I would guess Hood and Longstreets old friend.. D.H. Hill might have talked him into tring with get Bragg thrown out.. Plus after hearing Hardee.. and the other Army of the Tenn. Vets.. Stories.. I could see how Longstreet would have reacted..

      Many be he would have been a good choice.. well Better than Hood later did at least.. however during chancelerville.. when he was on his own.. he didnt do well with trying to take norfolk back...

      PS.. I believe the fall of Norfolk.. and New Orleans.. and even nashville.. were the 3 things that did in the confederatesss

      thanks for listening .. please correct me and post or opinions so i can take them in to maybe form a better view of the matter