Re: Longstreet

  • Hattie
    Message 1 of 18 , May 31, 2010
      I don't think that his actions in the west were any better than those in the east, seems like to me he could not work in a group effort. and unless it was his idea, he would pardon the expression Stonewall and with hold any aid that he could give
      God Bless
      Gary

      > In a message dated 5/30/2010 4:18:46 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      > ggeisler@... writes:
      >
      > Am I alone in this? comment please
      >

      > You are not alone. There are those who think he was sainted and there are
      > those who think he didn't earn much of a place in the USCW. Makes an
      > interesting discussion though.
      >
      > Oh. Wait. This is Civil War West. Unless you're talking the time he was
      > serving in the west, Longstreet is off-topic.
      >
      > Ole

    • Gary R. Geisler
      Message 2 of 18 , May 31, 2010
         I'm sorry, I forgot where I'm at' But I'll still keep my thoughts about Longstreet either West or East he was less than stellar.
        God Bless
        Gary
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2010
          Actually Old Pete's actions were probably better aligned with Southern aspirations than other, more exalted, Confederate leaders.

          The doctrine of strategic defense espoused by Longstreet and Johnston would have saved both territory and lives...

          HankC

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Hattie" <ggeisler@...> wrote:

          > The more that I study and read of this conflict, the less that General Longstreet impresses me seems like a lot os what he did was not beneficial to the cause of the South. Am I alone in this? comment please thanks and God Bless
          > Gary

        • Ron
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2010
            "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

            Quote, in part, The doctrine of strategic defense espoused by Longstreet and Johnston would have saved both territory and lives...

            Given the military resources of the Northern forces compared to that of the southern military, the strategy of "Strategic Defense" would lead to a slow steady stranglation of the south. It would be like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

            Ron
          • hank9174
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 1, 2010
              Isn't that what actually happened?

              I suppose the question(s) may be phrased as :
              1) what could the USA have done to *shorten* the war with the same results, or,

              2) what could the CSA have done to *lengthen* the war and win via northern war weariness?

              HankC

            • jlawrence@kc.rr.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1, 2010
                Given the military resources of the Northern forces compared to that of the southern military, the strategy of "Strategic Defense" would lead to a slow steady stranglation of the south. It would be like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

                > Ron

                Hello.
                The overwhelming superiority in resources and manpower certainly insured that, if marshalled, a Union victory. (Overwhelming may be an understatement-while fighting the costliest war in our history, the transcontinental raillroad was building on schedule (In the South, according to the Army War College-Levenworth Campus they were not even making rails-let alone laying new track).
                What gaurnteed victory though was not men or material superiority-it was the will to wield them and force the issue through to the end-the will perseevere at any cost.
                It was Lincoln that won the war. He had the resources and he was of a mind to wield them.
                Absent Lincoln, you don' have victory.
                You have the negotiated peace that I think most in the CSA thought they were going to get when the whole thing started.
                In my opinion anyway

                Regards,
                Jack
              • carlw4514
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 4, 2010
                  Hey Hank

                  I agree, note that where Longstreet looked not so good was at Knoxville where he was asked to do something against this line of thinking. It probably was reinforced at Chickamauga, since just about the best that could be hoped for offensively accomplished little from a total Campaign view, yet cost plenty of blood.

                • rbaquero@netzero.net
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 6, 2010

                     Hi !  Do you know if ...... President Jefferson Davis had something to do with Longstreet and Johnston ?

                    - Raul

                    I agree, note that where Longstreet looked not so good was at Knoxville where he was asked to do something against this line of thinking. It probably was reinforced at Chickamauga, since just about the best that could be hoped for offensively accomplished little from a total Campaign view, yet cost plenty of blood.

                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

                    > Actually Old Pete's actions were probably better aligned with Southern aspirations than other, more exalted, Confederate leaders.
                    >
                    > The doctrine of strategic defense espoused by Longstreet and Johnston would have saved both territory and lives...
                    >

                    > HankC
                    >

                    > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Hattie" <ggeisler@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The more that I study and read of this conflict, the less that General Longstreet impresses me seems like a lot os what he did was not beneficial to the cause of the South. Am I alone in this? comment please thanks and God Bless
                    > > Gary

                    Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
                    AwesomePennyStocks.com