Re: [civilwarwest] Declaration of ratification of the treaty with the Confede

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2010
      In a message dated 2/20/2010 3:45:49 P.M. Central Standard Time, joy@... writes:
      All of the Indians among the Five Civilized Tribes in the Indian Territory had to negotiate “Reconstruction Treaties” with the federal government after the war.
      What about the other tribes?
    • Joy, Mark
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2010

        I’m not aware that any tribes entered into new treaties as a result of participation in the Civil War.  There may have been, but I don’t recall running across ay reference to it.  I teach a course in federal Indian policy every few years but I don’t claim to know the details on this.

        Mark S. Joy

        Jamestown College

        Jamestown, North Dakota

        joy@...