Re: [civilwarwest] Declaration of ratification of the treaty with the Confederate States of America

  • jlawrence@kc.rr.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 20, 2010
      Thanks.
      Didn't know that.

      Regards,

      Jack

      From: "Joy, Mark" <joy@...>
      Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 15:45:24 -0600
      To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [civilwarwest] Declaration of ratification of the treaty with the Confederate States of America

      J. Lawrence wrote: I am wondering if this would have voided all treaties.
      Did the nation (Cherokee) have to renegotiate it's status after Appomattix?

      All of the Indians among the Five Civilized Tribes in the Indian Territory had to negotiate “Reconstruction Treaties” with the federal government after the war.  Some of these tribes held black slaves, and those slaves not only had to be made free, but given citizenship in the tribe.  The Cherokee tribe right now is trying to purge the descendants of these black Cherokees from their tribal rolls, which I imagine will spark some lawsuits by people arguing they can’t do this.  Tribal citizenship for former slaves and their descendants also had a major impact in the 1880s when the government allotted reservation lands to tribal members—those blacks tribal citizenships were eligible for an allotment of land.

      Mark S. Joy

      Jamestown ND

    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2010
        my two cents:

        I in no way object to anyone wanting to discuss the participation of the 5 Civ Tribes in the Civil War, but for copy and paste contributions ... that seems to me to belong to our Files Section.

        I'd rather see the posts/emails bring up discussion .

        Here's some questions: Had the Confederacy prevailed in getting her Independence, would the treatment of the Indians been better? Did Cherokee alliance with the CSA help lead to subsequent brutal treatment of the Indians in general?

        And what in the heck would the map of what we now call the West look like anyway ? I think the Transcontinental Railway would have proceeded and those tribes in the way still treated much the same.
      • Knight Hawk
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2010
          To see any one of the 7,340 google hits for the Cherokee Chief "Stand Watie" and the secret society called the "Knights of the Golden Circle" Just click on the following link:

          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1GGLS_enUS310US311&ei=_muFS_XjAojcsgOLz\
          Oi-Dw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAUQBSgA&q=%22stand+watie%22+%2\
          2knights+of+the+golden+circle%22&spell=1