Re: Modified Entrenching Tools

  • Arzt
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2010
      Bentonville, North Carolina.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <generalripper_1999@...> wrote:

      > Is that Bentonville Arkansas?
      >
      > Jason
      >
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Arzt" <wiccan@> wrote:
      > >
      > > All,
      > >
      > > I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge or examples of Sherman's Engineers altering or modifying their tools in anyway to make them less combersome and awkward to carry during the Atlanta or Carolina's Campaigns?
      > >
      > > My mess will be attending the 145th Bentonville event in March and we're going as a "flying column" to make things easier. However, I drew the short straw and got stuck with the shovel portion of our gear. It's not so much the weight, but in order to keep from tripping on the thing I either have to lean at the waist which does wonders for my back or wear it higher which I'm likely to knock myself cold if I should turn my head to the right.
      > >
      > > Any help would be very appreciated.
      > >
      > > Mike T

    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2010
        You can be sure the soldiers were very inventive, so nothing you could think of would not have been thought of by them.

        when carrying a shotgun on a sling, I have found there is a way to position it sideways, then lean my arm against the butt. This is very comfortable; there is a concern about where the muzzle is pointed if not walking alone, but with a shovel perhaps there is no problem with having it sideways.