Re: [civilwarwest] Carthage Battlefield

  • NPeters102@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
      Jack,

      While we are on the subject, what book do you recommend for Carthage? My only reference is a small 45 page book by Steve Cottrell entitled "Carthage in the Civil War."

      Mike Peters

      From: jlawrence@...
      Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 20:11:07 +0000
      To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Carthage Battlefield

      It's a nice day trip.
      You can take in Wilson's Creek and Mine Creek in the same weekend. An adventurous person might try ya to throw in Pea Ridge, but you wouldn't see much of anything
      Take your own references and maps for Mine Creek and Carthage.

      Regards,

      Jack

      From: NPeters102@aol. com
      Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 19:10:18
      To: Civil War Western Theater List<civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com>
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Carthage Battlefield

      Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

      Respectfully,

      Mike Peters

    • James
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2009
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, NPeters102@... wrote:

        > Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

        YES!

        It isn't a great field but it worth seeing the town and the battle area.

        I did the Trans-Mississippi battles in the area and really enjoyed them.

        While not ACW, Fort Smith is a fun side trip
      • NPeters102@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2009
          James,

          Appreciate the reply!

          Respectfully,

          Mike Peters

          From: "James" <JWD2044@...>
          Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:46:49 -0000
          To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Carthage Battlefield

          --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, NPeters102@. .. wrote:

          > Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

          YES!

          It isn't a great field but it worth seeing the town and the battle area.

          I did the Trans-Mississippi battles in the area and really enjoyed them.

          While not ACW, Fort Smith is a fun side trip

        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 14, 2009
            Carthage is one of the early-war battles where the troops were motley clad, poorly armed and equiped and still looking for adventure.

            Bravado played as big a part as tactics...

            http://civilwarmissouri.blogspot.com/2007/11/battle-of-carthage.html

            HankC