Re: [civilwarwest] Carthage Battlefield

  • NPeters102@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
      Jack,

      Good to hear from you.

      A few guys from our RT were contemplating taking in Pea Ridge, Wilson's Creek and Prairie Grove. Possibly Carthage. Can you recommend any guides? How many days to properly do PR, WC and PG?

      Mike Peters

      Mike Peters

      From: jlawrence@...
      Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 20:11:07 +0000
      To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Carthage Battlefield

      It's a nice day trip.
      You can take in Wilson's Creek and Mine Creek in the same weekend. An adventurous person might try ya to throw in Pea Ridge, but you wouldn't see much of anything
      Take your own references and maps for Mine Creek and Carthage.

      Regards,

      Jack

      From: NPeters102@aol. com
      Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 19:10:18
      To: Civil War Western Theater List<civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com>
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Carthage Battlefield

      Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

      Respectfully,

      Mike Peters

    • NPeters102@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
        Jack,

        While we are on the subject, what book do you recommend for Carthage? My only reference is a small 45 page book by Steve Cottrell entitled "Carthage in the Civil War."

        Mike Peters

        From: NPeters102@aol. com
        Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 19:10:18
        To: Civil War Western Theater List<civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com>

        Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

        Respectfully,

        Mike Peters

      • James
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2009
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, NPeters102@... wrote:

          > Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

          YES!

          It isn't a great field but it worth seeing the town and the battle area.

          I did the Trans-Mississippi battles in the area and really enjoyed them.

          While not ACW, Fort Smith is a fun side trip
        • NPeters102@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 2009
            James,

            Appreciate the reply!

            Respectfully,

            Mike Peters

            From: "James" <JWD2044@...>
            Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:46:49 -0000
            To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Carthage Battlefield

            --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, NPeters102@. .. wrote:

            > Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

            YES!

            It isn't a great field but it worth seeing the town and the battle area.

            I did the Trans-Mississippi battles in the area and really enjoyed them.

            While not ACW, Fort Smith is a fun side trip

          • hank9174
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 14, 2009
              Carthage is one of the early-war battles where the troops were motley clad, poorly armed and equiped and still looking for adventure.

              Bravado played as big a part as tactics...

              http://civilwarmissouri.blogspot.com/2007/11/battle-of-carthage.html

              HankC