Re: [civilwarwest] Carthage Battlefield

  • jlawrence@kc.rr.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
      It's a nice day trip.
      You can take in Wilson's Creek and Mine Creek in the same weekend. An adventurous person might try ya to throw in Pea Ridge, but you wouldn't see much of anything
      Take your own references and maps for Mine Creek and Carthage.

      Regards,

      Jack

      From: NPeters102@...
      Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 19:10:18
      To: Civil War Western Theater List<civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Carthage Battlefield

      Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

      Respectfully,

      Mike Peters

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
        Jack,

        Good to hear from you.

        A few guys from our RT were contemplating taking in Pea Ridge, Wilson's Creek and Prairie Grove. Possibly Carthage. Can you recommend any guides? How many days to properly do PR, WC and PG?

        Mike Peters

        Mike Peters

        From: NPeters102@aol. com
        Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 19:10:18
        To: Civil War Western Theater List<civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com>

      • NPeters102@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
          Jack,

          While we are on the subject, what book do you recommend for Carthage? My only reference is a small 45 page book by Steve Cottrell entitled "Carthage in the Civil War."

          Mike Peters

          From: NPeters102@aol. com
          Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 19:10:18
          To: Civil War Western Theater List<civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com>

          Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

          Respectfully,

          Mike Peters

        • James
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10, 2009
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, NPeters102@... wrote:

            > Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

            YES!

            It isn't a great field but it worth seeing the town and the battle area.

            I did the Trans-Mississippi battles in the area and really enjoyed them.

            While not ACW, Fort Smith is a fun side trip
          • NPeters102@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 11, 2009
              James,

              Appreciate the reply!

              Respectfully,

              Mike Peters

              From: "James" <JWD2044@...>
              Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:46:49 -0000
              To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Carthage Battlefield

              --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, NPeters102@. .. wrote:

              > Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

              YES!

              It isn't a great field but it worth seeing the town and the battle area.

              I did the Trans-Mississippi battles in the area and really enjoyed them.

              While not ACW, Fort Smith is a fun side trip

            • hank9174
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 14, 2009
                Carthage is one of the early-war battles where the troops were motley clad, poorly armed and equiped and still looking for adventure.

                Bravado played as big a part as tactics...

                http://civilwarmissouri.blogspot.com/2007/11/battle-of-carthage.html

                HankC