Carthage Battlefield

  • NPeters102@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
      Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

      Respectfully,

      Mike Peters
    • jlawrence@kc.rr.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
        It's a nice day trip.
        You can take in Wilson's Creek and Mine Creek in the same weekend. An adventurous person might try ya to throw in Pea Ridge, but you wouldn't see much of anything
        Take your own references and maps for Mine Creek and Carthage.

        Regards,

        Jack

        From: NPeters102@...
        Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 19:10:18
        To: Civil War Western Theater List<civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [civilwarwest] Carthage Battlefield

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
          Jack,

          Good to hear from you.

          A few guys from our RT were contemplating taking in Pea Ridge, Wilson's Creek and Prairie Grove. Possibly Carthage. Can you recommend any guides? How many days to properly do PR, WC and PG?

          Mike Peters

          Mike Peters

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
            Jack,

            While we are on the subject, what book do you recommend for Carthage? My only reference is a small 45 page book by Steve Cottrell entitled "Carthage in the Civil War."

            Mike Peters

            From: NPeters102@aol. com
            Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 19:10:18
            To: Civil War Western Theater List<civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com>

            Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

            Respectfully,

            Mike Peters

          • James
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 10, 2009
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, NPeters102@... wrote:

              > Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

              YES!

              It isn't a great field but it worth seeing the town and the battle area.

              I did the Trans-Mississippi battles in the area and really enjoyed them.

              While not ACW, Fort Smith is a fun side trip
            • NPeters102@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 11, 2009
                James,

                Appreciate the reply!

                Respectfully,

                Mike Peters

                From: "James" <JWD2044@...>
                Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:46:49 -0000
                To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Carthage Battlefield

                --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, NPeters102@. .. wrote:

                > Is it worth a trip to see the Carthage battlefield?

                YES!

                It isn't a great field but it worth seeing the town and the battle area.

                I did the Trans-Mississippi battles in the area and really enjoyed them.

                While not ACW, Fort Smith is a fun side trip

              • hank9174
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 14, 2009
                  Carthage is one of the early-war battles where the troops were motley clad, poorly armed and equiped and still looking for adventure.

                  Bravado played as big a part as tactics...

                  http://civilwarmissouri.blogspot.com/2007/11/battle-of-carthage.html

                  HankC