Re: Latest Edition of Blue & Gray: Chickasaw Bayou

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
      not sure what you mean by "Sherman's move"

      > I also think there is some room in the article for clarifying the political machinations behind Sherman's move. This was not Grant's riverine campaign for Vicksburg, it was Lincoln and Halleck's riverine campaign. For Grant to patiently scrap his plans for an overland campaign without complaint and defer to his masters sitting behind desks a thousand miles away seems superhuman to me. Contrast that to McClellan's reaction to Lincoln's comparatively minor meddlings, and we see why Grant was the man who would go on to win the war.

    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
        park service battle summary says "Estimated Casualties: US 1,776; CS 207"
      • keeno2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
          Am not following. Seems that I don't see all of the responses. I'm a member of civilwarhome and west and all that, but I rarely visit the site because I can't remember my sign-on details. What I get is what is sent to my e-mail address. Apparently, sometimes the magic doesn't work.

          Ole
        • Tony
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "carlw4514" <carlw4514@...> wrote:

            > not sure what you mean by "Sherman's move"

            Sherman's move from Oxford to Memphis and from Memphis to Vicksburg. This was NOT Grant's vision for the Vicksburg Campaign.

            Grant's plan was to move against Jackson with his whole force, using the railroad as a line of advance. For several weeks, Grant had been asking Halleck for suggestions on what course of action he should pursue. Grant finally settled on a plan to consolidate all of his force and begin marching south. Halleck approved the plan, even though Halleck knew that Lincoln was demanding a riverine campaign.

            Lincoln's plan was to take Vicksburg via a riverine campaign, and Lincoln authorized McClernand to undertake an independent expedition to do so. Halleck, however, immediately began trying to subvert McClernand. First, he convinced Lincoln to make McClernand ultimately subject to the department commander. Secondly, he ordered Grant to send the riverine expedition forward under Sherman rather than delay for McClernand's arrival.

            Grant was already halfway to Vicksburg, and yet here we have Halleck telling him "go no farther," then ordering half of Grant's offensive force on a wild goose chase down the river, where they would ultimately be subject to the command of an incompetent political general. That Grant didn't lose his cool speaks volumes about his character.