Re: Fwd: Where the War REALLY was Won (and who won it)

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 30, 2009
      I certainly agree that I was instantly overwhelmed by all that information.

      Your proposition:
      The Civil War would not have been much different nor cost more lives without the railroads.

      I think I would have to say I disagree that the war would not have been much different, although I don't know how to weigh your qualifier "much". Certainly, outside of war, it was really changing the country, so it is hard to imagine we would have fought the same war without them. One thing that comes to mind is that the railroads stepped in to make up the difference when the Mississippi was closed down.

      As far as the war itself, I'd have to say quite a few battles would not have been fought at all without the railroads and the supplies to the armies they provided.
    • Tony
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 30, 2009
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, fwnash@... wrote:
        > Proposition.   The Civil War would not have been much different nor cost more lives without the railroads.

        I think you need to pick up Warren Grabau's "98 Days" in which he performs a calculation of the distance that a civil war unit could travel away from the rail lines without massive foraging. Basically, there's a point at which the food required to carry the wagon teams a given distance becomes greater than the capacity of the wagon. It is a shockingly short distance, I can look it up for you some time when I get a chance.

        An army travels on its stomach, and in the ACW its stomach traveled by rail.
      • shaun c
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 7, 2009
          For a long time I've been considering a civil war play by email game about gettysburg, using what is effectivly tabletop miniature rules for the combat.

          The game would be basicly a map, with a list of known statistics for the players (unit quality/type/leader/strength etc)

          Players would be given orders in a chain of command, from army commander to corps commanders downwards in a realistic fashion.

          Would anyone here be interested in taking part in such a game? it would be slow paced and represent gettysburg from the first day onwards.

          I have previously done some research into the topography and Order of battles for both sides, making the game would merely be a matter of turning historical leaders into game worthy statistics and effecting a gameplayable map.

          Any ideas/comments/good idea??

        • shaun c
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 7, 2009
            Correction, all i would have to do is consolidate the rules and make a workable map (which i pretty much have already), the commanders i decided to give random attributes to represent a level of unknown knowledge of their ability in combat in such a circumstance (with historically exceptional leaders having higher chance for better attributes).

            To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 8, 2009
              I think it's a great idea!

              Count me in.

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, shaun c <shaunchattey@...> wrote:

              > For a long time I've been considering a civil war play by email game about gettysburg, using what is effectivly tabletop miniature rules for the combat.

              [snip]

              > Any ideas/comments/good idea??
            • James and Kathy
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 8, 2009
                Howdy Shaun
                 Cool deal
                I'll take any WI or 3d Ark., Col. Van H. Manning unit either sides fine.
                Yours in service
                James Acerra

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 8, 2009
                  I'll have a go at consolidating the various rules into one easily readable format this week, and I'll keep you guys posted on the progress, once I've posted the rule system and map, ideas and comments would be very welcome.

                  Shaun

                  Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 10:06:55 -0800
                  From: na_jeb@...
                  Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Civil war game
                  To: shaunchattey@...

                  Hello Shaun!
                    I'd be interested in getting involved!
                  Please keep me posted!
                  -Charles

                  To: civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 8, 2009
                    My first consult :D

                    Commanders skill in this tabletop rules range from 1-5, as i stated before the actual skill will not be revealed until they have been engaged in combat and shown their mettle. However as an indication that some generals were of a higher caliber than others, I will give them a higher chance of having a higher skill.

                    between 1-4 regular commanders will have (average commanders)
                    2-5 exceptional commanders will have

                    (the use of these skill levels ill explain later)

                    The question is, who should get the exceptional tag???

                    Off the top of my head, I have in my mind:

                    Chamberlain (U)
                    Longstreet (C)
                    Hancock (U)
                    Reynolds (U)
                    Stuart??? (C)
                    Armistead (C)
                    Alexander?? (C)
                    Lee (C)

                    additions? removals?

                    To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                    From: viking_reborn@...
                    Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:23:16 +0000
                    Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Civil war game

                    I think it's a great idea!

                    Count me in.

                    --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, shaun c <shaunchattey@ ...> wrote:

                    > For a long time I've been considering a civil war play by email game about gettysburg, using what is effectivly tabletop miniature rules for the combat.

                    [snip]

                    > Any ideas/comments/ good idea??

                  • Dick Weeks
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 8, 2009
                      Folks, I did not mind the announcing of the start of a Civil War game in this discussion group.  I think playing Civil War games always adds to one's knowledge of the war as it was and how it might have been.  However, the game cannot be played in this discussion group.  That's not why the group was set up.  You can start your own group for this purpose very easily on Yahoo.  I hope all understand.  Please take this discussion to another venue. Thanks.

                      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                      http://www.civilwarhome.com

                      From: viking_reborn@...
                      Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:23:16 +0000

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 8, 2009
                        Understandable, I never intended to play it on this board, but i will cease from discussing it here aswell.

                        To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                        From: shotgun@...
                        Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 19:08:07 -0500

                        From: viking_reborn@ hotmail.com
                        Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:23:16 +0000

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 8, 2009
                          For those interested, i have created a group for discussion of the game so as not to interfere with this group.

                          To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                          From: shotgun@...
                          Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 19:08:07 -0500

                          From: viking_reborn@ hotmail.com