(no subject)

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2009

      CCNMP Study Group 2010 Seminar in the Woods.

      Mission Statement: The purpose of the CCNMP Study Group is to create a forum to bring students of the American Civil War together to study and explore those events in the fall of 1863 that led ultimately to the creation of the Chickamauga-Chattanooga National Military Park . The intent is to use the indispensable resource of the park itself as an outdoor classroom to promote learning and study of the battles for Chattanooga , and to build interest for an annual gathering that will in time examine all aspects of the Campaigns for Chattanooga . Additionally, we hope to bring students and serious scholars, both professional and amateur, to the field for to share insights and knowledge about the battles.

      Tour Leaders:  Jim Ogden, Park Historian, and Dave Powell

      Date: Friday, March 12, and Saturday, March 13, 2010

      Note: Friday’s tours will involve a tour bus. We will be charging a small fee for use of the bus. See below.

      Friday Morning: 8:30 a.m. to Noon. Bragg in Command, part I

      By Bus, we will trace Confederate Commander Braxton Bragg's movements to the field  between September 9th and 19th, discussing his command decisions and the information he had at the time. Stops will include Lee and Gordon's Mills, Rock Springs, Lafayette, Leet's Tanyard.

      Start and end at the Visitor's Center parking lot.

      Friday Afternoon: 1:30 to 5:00 p.m. Bragg in command, part II

      By Bus and foot. We begin with a hike down to Thedford Ford, discuss Bragg reaching the field on the 19th and subsequent decisions that day, then hike back. From there we will discuss the morning confusion with Polk, the decision to order everyone into action, and later meetings. We will visit Brotherton Field and the 20th HQ site near Winfrey Field.

      Start and end at the Visitor's Center parking lot

      Saturday Morning: 8:30 to Noon. Cleburne Attacks

      On foot. While Breckinridge's Division overwhelmed John Beatty's Brigade and nearly broke through into Thomas' Rear, the southern end of Kelly Field was assailed by DH Hill's other Division, under Pat Cleburne. Cleburne's men had a difficult fight that morning, and it was not the command's best performance. We will examine Polk's attack, Wood's delay and wandering, and finally, Deshler's desperate action at noon. We will visit Polk's tablet on Alexander Bridge Road, move overland to Wood's approximate departure point, track his brigade's attack with Stewart into Poe field (visit Alabama Monument) and work our way up the ridge to Deshler's mortuary monument.

      Car caravan from Visitor's Center

      Saturday Afternoon:  1:30 to 5:00 p.m. Final defense of Battle line Road

      On foot, we will examine the defense of Battle line road, and the final retreat from that position on September 20th. We will focus primarily on Baird's Division and the difficulties they experienced as they tried to disengage, on how well the overall retreat was managed, and on the nature of the final Confederate attack in this sector.

      Car caravan from Visitor's Center

      Cost: Beyond the fee for Friday’s Bus, there is no cost for tour participation. Meals lodging, transportation, and incidentals, however, are the individual’s responsibility.

      Tour Departures: All tours will meet at the Chickamauga Visitor’s Center at the designated start time, and will depart from there after some brief overview discussion. We will board the bus or car caravan to the designated parking area, and from there, we will be on foot. We will be on foot for up to three hours, so dress and prepare accordingly. Tours will depart rain or shine. Participants are responsible for their own transportation, and should plan accordingly. All tours are designed to be self-contained, so participants who cannot attend the full schedule are still welcome to join us for any portion of the weekend.

      Lodging and Meals: Everyone is responsible for their own lodging and meals. There are many hotels in the greater Chattanooga area, for any price range. The closest are in Fort Olgethorpe , Georgia , with the least expensive in Ringgold. Each tour is designed to leave at least 90 minutes for lunch, and there are several family and fast food restaurants within minutes of the battlefield. There are designated picnic areas near the Visitor’s Center, for those who wish to bring a lunch and eat on the field.

      What to bring: Each tour will involve extensive walking. Proper clothing and especially footgear is essential. Dress in layers, wear sturdy, broken-in walking shoes or boots, and be prepared for some rain, as spring can be quite wet in North Georgia . We will be walking on dirt and gravel trails, uncut fields, and through stretches of woods. The ground will be wet and muddy in places. Bring your own water and snacks.

      Reading up on the subject: Many people like to prepare in advance for these kinds of events. I suggest the following works might be of help.

      Cozzens, Peter. This Terrible Sound. University of Illinois , 1992. The best modern study of the battle.

      Gracie, Archibald. The Truth About Chickamauga . Morningside, Reprinted 1987. For the veteran Chickamauga student only.

      Woodworth, Stephen E. Six Armies In Tennessee : The Chickamauga And Chattanooga Campaigns. Lincoln , Nebraska . University of Nebraska Press, 1998. An excellent overview campaign study.

      -------------------, A Deep Steady Thunder: The Battle Of Chickamauga. Abilene , Texas . McWhiney Foundation Press, 1998. Concise but very useful account of the battle, designed as an introduction to the action. 100 pages, very readable.

      And I am happy to announce that:

      Powell, David with Cartography by Dave Friedrichs, The Maps Of Chickamauga. Savas-Beatie, 2009 is now available as well.

      Note: Friday’s Tours will be by Bus, as we move from site to site. While the tour itself is free, we do have to pay for the bus.

      Pre-registration Fee: $35 Due by February 1st, 2010

      After November 5th, 2009, send to:

      FRANK CRAWFORD

      34664 ORANGE DRIVE

      PINELLAS PARK, FLORIDA     33781

      Frank will hold your payments. If you pay by check, note that Frank will not cash those checks until we have sufficient entries, so that if we have to refund, Frank will simply send your checks back to you.

      Please also note that this fee is NON-REFUNDABLE after February 1st, 2008. Once we are committed to the bus, we will be charged the booking fee.

      On-site Sign up Fee: $40

      We MUST have 20 attendees registered and Paid by Feb 1st, or we cannot reserve the bus. Once we confirm the minimum, you will be able to join the tour the day we depart, for late add-ons. If we do not meet the minimum, we will car-caravan for Friday’s tours.

      Final note: Last year we raised a sizable amount of money over and above the cost of the bus, and were able to contribute a number of new titles to the CCNMP research library, mostly regimental histories of recent vintage. The park currently does not have operating funds allocated for these kinds of acquisitions, and depends entirely on donations to fund library additions. I feel that this is an ideal use for any excess funds we raise, in keeping with the "study group" mission.