Re: Sternwheel Transports

  • daz0463
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2009
      In the Sep 1973 issue of the S&D Refelector, the diary of Col William Rion Hoel was printed. He was in charge of the ironclad Pittsburg and participated in the ill starred Red River Expedition in the spring of 1864. His diary is in the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County - Inland Rivers Library. Its entries are 2 Mar 1864 to 21 May as used in the article in the S&D Reflector. All steamboats of the expedition are ID'ed by name.

      Sat March 12th

      "Arrived on Simport at 1PM. Genl Smiths transports (20) arrived and his troops disembarked, about 10,000 men."

      On average for this mission, one steamboat transported 500 troops and their equipment and supplies.

      Fran Nash