Re: [civilwarwest] Mounted Riflemen / 3RD US Cavalry

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2009
      They did not have to be driven back to Texas:  they surrendered long before that....
      Take care,
      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
      And so to the end of history, murder shall breed murder, always in the name of right and honour and peace, until the Gods are tired of blood and create a race that can understand.” – George Bernard Shaw, “Caesar and Cleopatra”

      My 3rd Texas Cavalry Regiment, a part of the Whitfield / Ross Texas Cavalry Brigade left Texas in 1861 and did not return till the war was over. They were roughed up and pushed around, but the were nor driven back to Texas. Sherman with over 100,000 troops fought for 110 days to go a distance we drive today in an hour. During that distance he lost about 45,000 men, with replacements all the way. Johnson had no replacements, but his soldiers made Sherman pay in blood. Because the North won??? The real history is not heard. Today at my web site I make available all that I have learned of this one brigade. The 3rd US Cavalry was not like its sister unit the 2nd which spawned the likes of Robert E. Lee. I have not studied the 3rd US Cavalry, but I do know it did not drive anyone back to Texas