Mounted Riflemen / 3RD US Cavalry

  • shawn
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2009
      Hello,

      I am a Civil War reinactor in the Pacific Northwest that is looking on starting a new unit in my club. The unit that I am looking at was formed in the late 1840s as the Mounted Riflemen. They started out building forts along the Oregon Trail and were sent to fight in the Mexican War. I know that when the Civil War started they were redesignated as the 3RD US Cavalry and helped drive the confederates back into texas and spent most of the war in Tenesse.

      I have been realy impressed with the knowledge of the people in this group and was hoping that I could get some people to share some information on the unit. Any thing would be extreamly helpful.

      Shawn
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2009
        Shawn. If you're looking for activity in a board, check into civilwartalk.com. Can't say that we have a large presence in the Pacific NW, but there are plenty of cheerleaders.

        Ole
      • Patricia Swan
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2009
          Shawn,
          The Mounted Riflemen/3rd Cavalry were indeed an interesting group. The
          URL below gives some information about their Civil War experience. The
          Colonel of the 90th Illinois had been a Rifleman in New Mexico before
          the C.W.

          http://crossedsabers.blogspot.com/2009/08/3rd-us-cavalry-in-civil-war-1861.html

          Patricia B. Swan
          "Chicago's Irish Legion: the 90th Illinois Volunteers in the Civil War"
          by James B. Swan
          shawn wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I am a Civil War reinactor in the Pacific Northwest that is looking on
          > starting a new unit in my club. The unit that I am looking at was
          > formed in the late 1840s as the Mounted Riflemen. They started out
          > building forts along the Oregon Trail and were sent to fight in the
          > Mexican War. I know that when the Civil War started they were
          > redesignated as the 3RD US Cavalry and helped drive the confederates
          > back into texas and spent most of the war in Tenesse.
          >
          > I have been realy impressed with the knowledge of the people in this
          > group and was hoping that I could get some people to share some
          > information on the unit. Any thing would be extreamly helpful.
          >
          > Shawn

        • William Nolan
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2009
            My 3rd Texas Cavalry Regiment, a part of the Whitfield / Ross Texas Cavalry Brigade left Texas in 1861 and did not return till the war was over. They were roughed up and pushed around, but the were nor driven back to Texas. Sherman with over 100,000 troops fought for 110 days to go a distance we drive today in an hour. During that distance he lost about 45,000 men, with replacements all the way. Johnson had no replacements, but his soldiers made Sherman pay in blood. Because the North won??? The real history is not heard. Today at my web site I make available all that I have learned of this one brigade. The 3rd US Cavalry was not like its sister unit the 2nd which spawned the likes of Robert E. Lee. I have not studied the 3rd US Cavalry, but I do know it did not drive anyone back to Texas

            shawn wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I am a Civil War reinactor in the Pacific Northwest that is looking on
            > starting a new unit in my club. The unit that I am looking at was
            > formed in the late 1840s as the Mounted Riflemen. They started out
            > building forts along the Oregon Trail and were sent to fight in the
            > Mexican War. I know that when the Civil War started they were
            > redesignated as the 3RD US Cavalry and helped drive the confederates
            > back into texas and spent most of the war in Tenesse.
            >
            > I have been realy impressed with the knowledge of the people in this
            > group and was hoping that I could get some people to share some
            > information on the unit. Any thing would be extreamly helpful.
            >
            > Shawn

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                civilwarwest-digest@yahoogroups.com
                civilwarwest-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Bob Huddleston
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2009
              They did not have to be driven back to Texas:  they surrendered long before that....
              Take care,
              Bob
              Judy and Bob Huddleston
              10643 Sperry Street
              Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
              Huddleston.r@...

              And so to the end of history, murder shall breed murder, always in the name of right and honour and peace, until the Gods are tired of blood and create a race that can understand.” – George Bernard Shaw, “Caesar and Cleopatra”

                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/civilwarwe st/join