Civil War Battles

  • sshelby1
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2009
      I have some family members who are very interested in Civil war history and they prompted me with a unique idea, which was to create a web site that made use of Google Maps to locate battle locations as well as provide an information resource for Civil War battles. Long story short...I created this web site and have populated it with a list of battles but the details are of each battle are very limited. I am looking for anyone who would like to assist in compiling articles and locating approximate battle locations. This is a serious request, not spam so I am not going to include the link unless it is requested. If you would like to help, please send me a private message and I'll send you a link to the web site. The website is much like Wikipedia in that it allows users to maintain the content. The main difference is that it is only Civil War related.
    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2009
        good idea!

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "sshelby1" <sshelby1@...> wrote:

        > I have some family members who are very interested in Civil war history and they prompted me with a unique idea, which was to create a web site that made use of Google Maps to locate battle locations as well as provide an information resource for Civil War battles. Long story short...I created this web site and have populated it with a list of battles but the details are of each battle are very limited. I am looking for anyone who would like to assist in compiling articles and locating approximate battle locations. This is a serious request, not spam so I am not going to include the link unless it is requested. If you would like to help, please send me a private message and I'll send you a link to the web site. The website is much like Wikipedia in that it allows users to maintain the content. The main difference is that it is only Civil War related.

      • Jason
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2009
          That sounds like a great idea. Are you looking for only the "big battles" are all the battles fought during the Civil War? How about battles during the Civil War rea? Colorado had The Sand Creek Massacre during that time period Union units from Colorado.

          Jason Unwin
          5th Texas Artillery

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "sshelby1" <sshelby1@...> wrote:

          > I have some family members who are very interested in Civil war history and they prompted me with a unique idea, which was to create a web site that made use of Google Maps to locate battle locations as well as provide an information resource for Civil War battles. Long story short...I created this web site and have populated it with a list of battles but the details are of each battle are very limited. I am looking for anyone who would like to assist in compiling articles and locating approximate battle locations. This is a serious request, not spam so I am not going to include the link unless it is requested. If you would like to help, please send me a private message and I'll send you a link to the web site. The website is much like Wikipedia in that it allows users to maintain the content. The main difference is that it is only Civil War related.

        • Hugh Turnbull
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2009
            I am very interested in your project for creating a web site which will show battle sites on Google maps.  My great-great-grandfather was involved in numerous battles as part of the 2nd Iowa Cavalry before losing his life near West Point, MS  I doubt that I'll be able to contribute to your project, having lived the past forty years in Oregon.  I do take some trips east and try to visit battle sites where his unit was involved.

            Thanks for undertaking this work.  I would like to view your work.

            Thanks,

            Hugh Turnbull

            On Oct 6, 2009, at 10:26 AM, sshelby1 wrote:

            I have some family members who are very interested in Civil war history and they prompted me with a unique idea, which was to create a web site that made use of Google Maps to locate battle locations as well as provide an information resource for Civil War battles. Long story short...I created this web site and have populated it with a list of battles but the details are of each battle are very limited. I am looking for anyone who would like to assist in compiling articles and locating approximate battle locations. This is a serious request, not spam so I am not going to include the link unless it is requested. If you would like to help, please send me a private message and I'll send you a link to the web site. The website is much like Wikipedia in that it allows users to maintain the content. The main difference is that it is only Civil War related.

          • Sam Shelby
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 8, 2009
              Hi Jason,
              I think any battles in the era would be appropriate. I would like for the website to be a nice resource for anyone researching Civil War period battles.

              Thanks,
              Sam

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2009
                Thanks for the interest! You can find the website at the following link.

                http://civilwarguide.info/

                Anyone is welcome to join, use or contribute to the website. Please let me know if you have any questions.

                Thanks,
                Sam

              • jlawrence@kc.rr.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 9, 2009
                  This is the type of site that seems to the perfect place for an map (interactive) of the war (real) war in the West.

                  Regards,

                  Jack