Franklin Question

  • NPeters102@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
      According to a soldier of the 64th Ohio Infantry, Conrad's Brigade, & re: action in & around the Carter House:

      "I saw at this time a stampede of our own men. They were rushing down towards town. Some Zouave officers, mounted and armed to the teeth, deployed across the pike and flourishing their swords and revolvers, swore terribly that they would shoot the first man who undertook to pass, but all to no avail."

      What Zouave units fought at Franklin?

      Respectfully,

      Mike Peters
      npeters102@...
      colliszouave@...
    • NPeters102@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
        I am leaning toward the 59th Ilinois as the unit containing the Zouave officers. Thoughts?

        Respectfully,

        Mike Peters
        npeters102@...
        colliszouave@...

        npeters102@aol. com
        colliszouave@ yahoo.com

      • DORR64OVI@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
          In a message dated 10/4/2009 12:16:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:
          ording to a soldier of the 64th Ohio Infantry, Conrad's Brigade, & re: action in & around the Carter House:

          "I saw at this time a stampede of our own men. They were rushing down towards town. Some Zouave officers, mounted and armed to the teeth, deployed across the pike and flourishing their swords and revolvers, swore terribly that they would shoot the first man who undertook to pass, but all to no avail."

          What Zouave units fought at Franklin?
          Whose account from the 64th OVI is this from?

          Kent Dorr
        • NPeters102@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
            Kent,

            The soldier's surname was "Keesy."

            Mike Peters

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
              In a message dated 10/4/2009 1:09:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:
              Kent,

              The soldier's surname was "Keesy."
              Ok then this is from Keesy's memoirs..War as Viewed from the Ranks.

              Kent Dorr
            • DORR64OVI@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
                In a message dated 10/4/2009 1:17:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
                The soldier's surname was "Keesy."
                Ok then this is from Keesy's memoirs..War as Viewed from the Ranks.

                Kent Dorr
                I just grabbed my copy of Keesys book from my library and his account of Franklin doesn't mention the Zouave officers.  Is this from another account?

                Kent Dorr
              • NPeters102@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
                  Kent,

                  The quote is from the "Eyewitness" series compiled by Logsdon.

                  Mike Peters