Re: Trivia Question -- not even off topic!

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
      The Sultana disaster killed soldiers and not many civilians [?] and was an accident ... I'm guessing that would be the counter-argument. The position was Prof. P's, or the author's

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Tom Gilbert <tommygeebassman@...> wrote:

      > Are you speaking of the "Lawrence Massacre" of Aug 21 1863? If so, a quick check tells me there were approx 200 civilians killed .. approx 1,800 died in the Sultana disaster .. but maybe it was some other event in Lawrence? .. tom g

    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
        and also that it was an accident; otherwise pretty close count on civilians!

        > Key word is civilians.....the Sultana was mostly full of paroled Union
        > soldiers released from Andersonville and Cahaba prisons. Known passengers and
        > crew of the Sultana numbered 185.
        >
        > Kent Dorr

      • Bob Huddleston
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
          Quantrill claimed he had a commission but there is no evidence that he did.
          Take care,
          Bob
          Judy and Bob Huddleston
          10643 Sperry Street
          Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
          Huddleston.r@...

          “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more belligerent.” David Donald

          carlw4514 wrote:

          The Professor would be citing something that some would consider as guerilla, although I believe the commanding officer had a commission.

        • Tom Gilbert
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2009
            I guess that makes sense .. I stand corrected .. tom g