Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Trivia Question -- not even off topic!

  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
      In a message dated 10/4/2009 11:37:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tommygeebassman@... writes:
      e you speaking of the "Lawrence Massacre" of Aug 21 1863? If so, a quick check tells me there were approx 200 civilians killed .. approx 1,800 died in the Sultana disaster .. but maybe it was some other event in Lawrence? .. tom g
      Key word is civilians.....the Sultana was mostly full of paroled Union soldiers released from Andersonville and Cahaba prisons.  Known passengers and crew of the Sultana numbered 185.

      Kent Dorr
    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
        The Sultana disaster killed soldiers and not many civilians [?] and was an accident ... I'm guessing that would be the counter-argument. The position was Prof. P's, or the author's

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Tom Gilbert <tommygeebassman@...> wrote:

        > Are you speaking of the "Lawrence Massacre" of Aug 21 1863? If so, a quick check tells me there were approx 200 civilians killed .. approx 1,800 died in the Sultana disaster .. but maybe it was some other event in Lawrence? .. tom g

      • carlw4514
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
          and also that it was an accident; otherwise pretty close count on civilians!

          > Key word is civilians.....the Sultana was mostly full of paroled Union
          > soldiers released from Andersonville and Cahaba prisons. Known passengers and
          > crew of the Sultana numbered 185.
          >
          > Kent Dorr

        • Bob Huddleston
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
            Quantrill claimed he had a commission but there is no evidence that he did.
            Take care,
            Bob
            Judy and Bob Huddleston
            10643 Sperry Street
            Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
            Huddleston.r@...

            “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more belligerent.” David Donald

            carlw4514 wrote:

            The Professor would be citing something that some would consider as guerilla, although I believe the commanding officer had a commission.

          • Tom Gilbert
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2009
              I guess that makes sense .. I stand corrected .. tom g