Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Trivia Question -- not even off topic!

  • Tom Gilbert
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
      Are you speaking of the "Lawrence Massacre" of Aug 21 1863? If so, a quick check tells me there were approx 200 civilians killed .. approx 1,800 died in the Sultana disaster .. but maybe it was some other event in Lawrence? .. tom g

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
        In a message dated 10/4/2009 11:37:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tommygeebassman@... writes:
        e you speaking of the "Lawrence Massacre" of Aug 21 1863? If so, a quick check tells me there were approx 200 civilians killed .. approx 1,800 died in the Sultana disaster .. but maybe it was some other event in Lawrence? .. tom g
        Key word is civilians.....the Sultana was mostly full of paroled Union soldiers released from Andersonville and Cahaba prisons.  Known passengers and crew of the Sultana numbered 185.

        Kent Dorr
      • carlw4514
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
          The Sultana disaster killed soldiers and not many civilians [?] and was an accident ... I'm guessing that would be the counter-argument. The position was Prof. P's, or the author's

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
            and also that it was an accident; otherwise pretty close count on civilians!

            > Key word is civilians.....the Sultana was mostly full of paroled Union
            > soldiers released from Andersonville and Cahaba prisons. Known passengers and
            > crew of the Sultana numbered 185.
            >
            > Kent Dorr

          • Bob Huddleston
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
              Quantrill claimed he had a commission but there is no evidence that he did.
              Take care,
              Bob
              Judy and Bob Huddleston
              10643 Sperry Street
              Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
              Huddleston.r@...

              “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more belligerent.” David Donald

              carlw4514 wrote:

              The Professor would be citing something that some would consider as guerilla, although I believe the commanding officer had a commission.

            • Tom Gilbert
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2009
                I guess that makes sense .. I stand corrected .. tom g