Re: Trivia Question -- not even off topic!

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
      Sir, you have beaten Blue Lady to it! Lawrence Kansas is correct! this from Prokopowicz on his radio show. I think he was quoting from the author, they were reviewing "Thomas Ewing Jr.: Frontier Lawyer and Civil War General by Ronald D. Smith"

      I thought it was a remarkable fact [if it can't be disputed]

      http://www.modavox.com/worldtalkradio/vshow.aspx?sid=865

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, NPeters102@... wrote:

      > Lawrence, Kansas?
    • Mary Hawthorne
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
        Very good! So at least I was on the right track. When you said Military I wasn't sure if you were including guerrilla warfare or not. Well done!
        Sir, you have beaten Blue Lady to it! Lawrence Kansas is correct! this from Prokopowicz on his radio show. I think he was quoting from the author, they were reviewing "Thomas Ewing Jr.: Frontier Lawyer and Civil War General by Ronald D. Smith"

        I thought it was a remarkable fact [if it can't be disputed]

        http://www.modavox. com/worldtalkrad io/vshow. aspx?sid= 865

        --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, NPeters102@. .. wrote:

        > Lawrence, Kansas?

      • Tom Gilbert
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
          Are you speaking of the "Lawrence Massacre" of Aug 21 1863? If so, a quick check tells me there were approx 200 civilians killed .. approx 1,800 died in the Sultana disaster .. but maybe it was some other event in Lawrence? .. tom g

        • DORR64OVI@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
            In a message dated 10/4/2009 11:37:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tommygeebassman@... writes:
            e you speaking of the "Lawrence Massacre" of Aug 21 1863? If so, a quick check tells me there were approx 200 civilians killed .. approx 1,800 died in the Sultana disaster .. but maybe it was some other event in Lawrence? .. tom g
            Key word is civilians.....the Sultana was mostly full of paroled Union soldiers released from Andersonville and Cahaba prisons.  Known passengers and crew of the Sultana numbered 185.

            Kent Dorr
          • carlw4514
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
              The Sultana disaster killed soldiers and not many civilians [?] and was an accident ... I'm guessing that would be the counter-argument. The position was Prof. P's, or the author's

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                and also that it was an accident; otherwise pretty close count on civilians!

                > Key word is civilians.....the Sultana was mostly full of paroled Union
                > soldiers released from Andersonville and Cahaba prisons. Known passengers and
                > crew of the Sultana numbered 185.
                >
                > Kent Dorr

              • Bob Huddleston
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                  Quantrill claimed he had a commission but there is no evidence that he did.
                  Take care,
                  Bob
                  Judy and Bob Huddleston
                  10643 Sperry Street
                  Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
                  Huddleston.r@...

                  “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more belligerent.” David Donald

                  carlw4514 wrote:

                  The Professor would be citing something that some would consider as guerilla, although I believe the commanding officer had a commission.

                • Tom Gilbert
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 5, 2009
                    I guess that makes sense .. I stand corrected .. tom g