Re: Trivia Question -- not even off topic!

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
      The Professor would be citing something that some would consider as guerilla, although I believe the commanding officer had a commission.

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
        Sir, you have beaten Blue Lady to it! Lawrence Kansas is correct! this from Prokopowicz on his radio show. I think he was quoting from the author, they were reviewing "Thomas Ewing Jr.: Frontier Lawyer and Civil War General by Ronald D. Smith"

        I thought it was a remarkable fact [if it can't be disputed]

        http://www.modavox.com/worldtalkradio/vshow.aspx?sid=865

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, NPeters102@... wrote:

        > Lawrence, Kansas?
      • Mary Hawthorne
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
          Very good! So at least I was on the right track. When you said Military I wasn't sure if you were including guerrilla warfare or not. Well done!
          Sir, you have beaten Blue Lady to it! Lawrence Kansas is correct! this from Prokopowicz on his radio show. I think he was quoting from the author, they were reviewing "Thomas Ewing Jr.: Frontier Lawyer and Civil War General by Ronald D. Smith"

          I thought it was a remarkable fact [if it can't be disputed]

          http://www.modavox. com/worldtalkrad io/vshow. aspx?sid= 865

          --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, NPeters102@. .. wrote:

          > Lawrence, Kansas?

        • Tom Gilbert
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
            Are you speaking of the "Lawrence Massacre" of Aug 21 1863? If so, a quick check tells me there were approx 200 civilians killed .. approx 1,800 died in the Sultana disaster .. but maybe it was some other event in Lawrence? .. tom g

          • DORR64OVI@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
              In a message dated 10/4/2009 11:37:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tommygeebassman@... writes:
              e you speaking of the "Lawrence Massacre" of Aug 21 1863? If so, a quick check tells me there were approx 200 civilians killed .. approx 1,800 died in the Sultana disaster .. but maybe it was some other event in Lawrence? .. tom g
              Key word is civilians.....the Sultana was mostly full of paroled Union soldiers released from Andersonville and Cahaba prisons.  Known passengers and crew of the Sultana numbered 185.

              Kent Dorr
            • carlw4514
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                The Sultana disaster killed soldiers and not many civilians [?] and was an accident ... I'm guessing that would be the counter-argument. The position was Prof. P's, or the author's

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                  and also that it was an accident; otherwise pretty close count on civilians!

                  > Key word is civilians.....the Sultana was mostly full of paroled Union
                  > soldiers released from Andersonville and Cahaba prisons. Known passengers and
                  > crew of the Sultana numbered 185.
                  >
                  > Kent Dorr

                • Bob Huddleston
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                    Quantrill claimed he had a commission but there is no evidence that he did.
                    Take care,
                    Bob
                    Judy and Bob Huddleston
                    10643 Sperry Street
                    Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
                    Huddleston.r@...

                    “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more belligerent.” David Donald

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 5, 2009
                      I guess that makes sense .. I stand corrected .. tom g