Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Trivia Question -- not even off topic!

  • Mary Hawthorne
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
      Do you consider "military" to be normal military engagement or is guerrilla activities counted as well?
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
        Lawrence, Kansas?

        From: "Mary Hawthorne" <tboner1@...>
        Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 08:37:52 -0400
        To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>

        Do you consider "military" to be normal military engagement or is guerrilla activities counted as well?
        somebody should know this one: first hint: actually the t-miss theater

        --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, Tom Gilbert <tommygeebassman@ ...> wrote:

        > Sinking of the Sultana?
        > ..Tom Gilbert

      • carlw4514
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
          The Professor would be citing something that some would consider as guerilla, although I believe the commanding officer had a commission.

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
            Sir, you have beaten Blue Lady to it! Lawrence Kansas is correct! this from Prokopowicz on his radio show. I think he was quoting from the author, they were reviewing "Thomas Ewing Jr.: Frontier Lawyer and Civil War General by Ronald D. Smith"

            I thought it was a remarkable fact [if it can't be disputed]

            http://www.modavox.com/worldtalkradio/vshow.aspx?sid=865

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, NPeters102@... wrote:

            > Lawrence, Kansas?
          • Mary Hawthorne
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
              Very good! So at least I was on the right track. When you said Military I wasn't sure if you were including guerrilla warfare or not. Well done!
              Sir, you have beaten Blue Lady to it! Lawrence Kansas is correct! this from Prokopowicz on his radio show. I think he was quoting from the author, they were reviewing "Thomas Ewing Jr.: Frontier Lawyer and Civil War General by Ronald D. Smith"

              I thought it was a remarkable fact [if it can't be disputed]

              http://www.modavox. com/worldtalkrad io/vshow. aspx?sid= 865

              --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, NPeters102@. .. wrote:

              > Lawrence, Kansas?

            • Tom Gilbert
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                Are you speaking of the "Lawrence Massacre" of Aug 21 1863? If so, a quick check tells me there were approx 200 civilians killed .. approx 1,800 died in the Sultana disaster .. but maybe it was some other event in Lawrence? .. tom g

              • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                  In a message dated 10/4/2009 11:37:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tommygeebassman@... writes:
                  e you speaking of the "Lawrence Massacre" of Aug 21 1863? If so, a quick check tells me there were approx 200 civilians killed .. approx 1,800 died in the Sultana disaster .. but maybe it was some other event in Lawrence? .. tom g
                  Key word is civilians.....the Sultana was mostly full of paroled Union soldiers released from Andersonville and Cahaba prisons.  Known passengers and crew of the Sultana numbered 185.

                  Kent Dorr
                • carlw4514
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                    The Sultana disaster killed soldiers and not many civilians [?] and was an accident ... I'm guessing that would be the counter-argument. The position was Prof. P's, or the author's

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                      and also that it was an accident; otherwise pretty close count on civilians!

                      > Key word is civilians.....the Sultana was mostly full of paroled Union
                      > soldiers released from Andersonville and Cahaba prisons. Known passengers and
                      > crew of the Sultana numbered 185.
                      >
                      > Kent Dorr

                    • Bob Huddleston
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                        Quantrill claimed he had a commission but there is no evidence that he did.
                        Take care,
                        Bob
                        Judy and Bob Huddleston
                        10643 Sperry Street
                        Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
                        Huddleston.r@...

                        “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more belligerent.” David Donald

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 5, 2009
                          I guess that makes sense .. I stand corrected .. tom g