Re: [civilwarwest] Trivia Question -- not even off topic!

  • Tom Gilbert
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2009
      Sinking of the Sultana?
      ..Tom Gilbert

      --- On Sat, 10/3/09, carlw4514 <carlw4514@...> wrote:

      From: carlw4514 <carlw4514@...>
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Trivia Question -- not even off topic!
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, October 3, 2009, 7:04 AM

      According to a professor in a North Carolina University, what military event in the Civil War killed more civilians than any other action on American soil until September 11, 2001?

    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
        nope.
        somebody should know this one: first hint: actually the t-miss theater

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Tom Gilbert <tommygeebassman@...> wrote:

        > Sinking of the Sultana?
        > ..Tom Gilbert

      • Mary Hawthorne
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
          Do you consider "military" to be normal military engagement or is guerrilla activities counted as well?

        • NPeters102@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
            Lawrence, Kansas?

            From: "Mary Hawthorne" <tboner1@...>
            Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 08:37:52 -0400
            To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
              The Professor would be citing something that some would consider as guerilla, although I believe the commanding officer had a commission.

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                Sir, you have beaten Blue Lady to it! Lawrence Kansas is correct! this from Prokopowicz on his radio show. I think he was quoting from the author, they were reviewing "Thomas Ewing Jr.: Frontier Lawyer and Civil War General by Ronald D. Smith"

                I thought it was a remarkable fact [if it can't be disputed]

                http://www.modavox.com/worldtalkradio/vshow.aspx?sid=865

                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, NPeters102@... wrote:

                > Lawrence, Kansas?
              • Mary Hawthorne
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                  Very good! So at least I was on the right track. When you said Military I wasn't sure if you were including guerrilla warfare or not. Well done!
                  Sir, you have beaten Blue Lady to it! Lawrence Kansas is correct! this from Prokopowicz on his radio show. I think he was quoting from the author, they were reviewing "Thomas Ewing Jr.: Frontier Lawyer and Civil War General by Ronald D. Smith"

                  I thought it was a remarkable fact [if it can't be disputed]

                  http://www.modavox. com/worldtalkrad io/vshow. aspx?sid= 865

                  --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, NPeters102@. .. wrote:

                  > Lawrence, Kansas?

                • Tom Gilbert
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                    Are you speaking of the "Lawrence Massacre" of Aug 21 1863? If so, a quick check tells me there were approx 200 civilians killed .. approx 1,800 died in the Sultana disaster .. but maybe it was some other event in Lawrence? .. tom g

                  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                      In a message dated 10/4/2009 11:37:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tommygeebassman@... writes:
                      e you speaking of the "Lawrence Massacre" of Aug 21 1863? If so, a quick check tells me there were approx 200 civilians killed .. approx 1,800 died in the Sultana disaster .. but maybe it was some other event in Lawrence? .. tom g
                      Key word is civilians.....the Sultana was mostly full of paroled Union soldiers released from Andersonville and Cahaba prisons.  Known passengers and crew of the Sultana numbered 185.

                      Kent Dorr
                    • carlw4514
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                        The Sultana disaster killed soldiers and not many civilians [?] and was an accident ... I'm guessing that would be the counter-argument. The position was Prof. P's, or the author's

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                          and also that it was an accident; otherwise pretty close count on civilians!

                          > Key word is civilians.....the Sultana was mostly full of paroled Union
                          > soldiers released from Andersonville and Cahaba prisons. Known passengers and
                          > crew of the Sultana numbered 185.
                          >
                          > Kent Dorr

                        • Bob Huddleston
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                            Quantrill claimed he had a commission but there is no evidence that he did.
                            Take care,
                            Bob
                            Judy and Bob Huddleston
                            10643 Sperry Street
                            Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
                            Huddleston.r@...

                            “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more belligerent.” David Donald

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 5, 2009
                              I guess that makes sense .. I stand corrected .. tom g