Re: Where the War REALLY was Won (and who won it)

  • daz0463
    Message 1 of 62 , Sep 22, 2009
      From the date of your post, it is obvious that I took quite some time to formulate my response. After considerable thought and analysis, I've come to my conclusion. The Civil War was won in:

      Pittsburgh = Steeler Country

      And was won by western Pennsylvanian rivermen.

      Some believe the momentum of the Civil War changed after victories in the Western Theater, whether Vicksburg or Shiloh. If this premise is true, then what were the major enablers that differed from the east? The major advantages of the Union Army were the tall stack steamers: civilian transports, tinclads, and gunboats, and their men: captains, pilots, engineers, and crews, who operated the transports. The origin of these advantages, and other support goods, was Pittsburgh.

      A mindful analysis of the Charles and E Kay Gibson's "Dictionary of Transports and Combatant Vessels, Steam and Sail, Employed by the Union Army 1861-1868", indicates that approximately 720 steamboats were employed on the western rivers during the Civil War. The Army Quartermaster built and purchased 105 and chartered 615. Cross referencing those steamboats by name with Capt Frederick Way's "Way's Packet Directory, 1848-1994" revealed that just over 44% of the steamboats were built in Pittsburgh. My definition of "Pittsburgh" is the region on the Ohio and Monongahela Rivers approximately 20 miles down the Ohio and 20 miles up the Mon from Pittsburgh. That region includes boatyards in river towns such as Freedom, Shousetown (no longer exists), Elizabeth (Lewis and Clark keelboat fame), Brownsville, McKeesport, California, Belle Vernon ... That region is about 4% of the total run of the Ohio River.

      From Gibsons Dictionary I have included all the boats which means packets built as far up the Mississippi as Keokuk, IA and as far down as New Orleans, LA and in Bridgeport, AL on the Tennessee River. So my 40 miles of water surrounding Pittsburgh is competing with all the boatyards on the rest of the Ohio plus nearly the full length of the Mississippi and the Tennessee rivers. Gunboats also skewed the data against Pittsburgh. Gunboats were built specifically for the Quartermaster in strange places such as Oquaka, IL, Burlington, IA, Chatanooga, TN, etc. These sites were not commercial boatyards like those found in Cincinnati, OH, New Albany, IN, and Elizabeth, PA.

      The sources used to identify the steamers on the western rivers were the primary sources of Gibson's Dictionary part 2 and 3 of HR-337 and one secondary source identified as Hurst which refers to a list in "The Battle of Shiloh" by TM Hurst. The Gibsons do not list the build port for the steamers. By cross referencing the name provided by the Gibsons with the build location in Way's Directory, I have my data.

      I confess I lost 13.6% of the Gibson steamers. In most cases, the names identified by the Gibsons did not match with Way's Packet Directory. The missing steamers I believe were often tugs and ferries not listed by Capt Way because they were not packets. In a few cases the names did match but I excluded the boats if either the vessel was out of service before the war or not built until after the war according to Way's Directory. I trust Capt Way more than the Gibsons.

      In addition to the boatyards, Pittsburgh was the major iron works center in the Union. Approximately 60% of the artillery used by the Union Army was forged in Pittsburgh. Rails for the railroad systems were also forged in Pittsburgh, although the railroads contributed no or little advantage in the west. Theses two additional products, artillery and rails, provide the mortar to keep my main conclusion standing. Without experiencing a single warlike day, Pittsburgh provided the underlying support that changed the momentum of the war.

      A different yet interesting line of research would be: How different would have been the outcome of the Civil War without the steamboats pilots who knew the chutes, channels and shoals of the Ohio and its tributaries?

      Note 1: I was surprised that Pittsburgh's steamboats did not total more than 50%. Alas, I had spent too much time not to respond with the data at hand. For the Missouri River commerce of the late 1860's, Pittsburgh produced approx 70% of the packets. I was also amazed by the number of packets built in Cincinnati. Far more than any other single site, but far less than the Pittsburgh region according to my definition of the region. I had no idea Cincinnati had such a river history. To honor the history of Cincinnati's contributions to the epoch of steamboats, I will celebrate with a case of Little Kings.

      Note 2: The Chaplain of the 72nd Ohio Infantry was Rev Adam B Poe, one of the founders of Ohio Wesleyan College. Three of his first cousins from Georgetown, PA were packet owners and captains who steamed to Pittsburg Landing in Apr 1862: Jacob, Thomas W, and Adam Poe. Another Georgetown steamboat captain, Jackman T Stockdale, was also at Pittsburg Landing on 6-7 Apr 1862. Two Georgetown captains, George W Ebert and Richard Calhoon, and their vessels were chartered at the correct time, but I can not place them at Pittsburg Landing. About that time George W Ebert had been running messages between Helena, AR, Memphis, TN and St Louis, MO. Richard Calhoon had been transporting troops and supplies along the Ohio. I am curious whether the reverend and the captains knew.

      Fran Nash

    • fwnash@comcast.net
      Message 62 of 62 , Nov 4, 2009

        This letter, published in the S&D Reflector in Dec 1969, was written by the mayor of Pittsburgh to recognize six steamboat captains and their vessels for their service to the country.

                                         Pittsburgh, PA,

                                         Feb 19th, 1862

        I desire that the captains of the following

        steamers be placed on record for the patriotic

        and liberal (volunteering) of their services

        and boats, without renumeration, to proceed

        immediately to the Cumberland River to relieve

        the sick and wounded soldiers:  Rocket, Capt

        Wolf; Clara Poe, Capt Poe, Horizon, Capt

        Stockdale; Emma, Capt Maratta; Westmorland,

        Capt Evans; Sir William Wallace, Capt Hugh

        Campbell.

                                        B. C. Sawyer, Jr., Mayor.

        My search for the original letter has failed to date.  To whom the letter was addressed is unknown.  What words were replaced?  The subject of the paragraph in the S&D Reflector was salaries of the captains of the steamers during the war.  Apparently, boats and crews who worked for no salary were not uncommon especially when pressed to service.

        The letter was also interesting from the steamer point of view.  Three boats were destroyed during the war.  In Jan 1865, the Emma collided with the Louisville ferry.  Both vessels were disabled and both floated helplessly over the falls.  A dramatic ending for the Emma.   The Clara Poe, bound for Nashville with supplies, was burned on 17 Apr 1865 by rebels along the Cumberland River .  That date was curious.  Hostilities in the west continued for about thirty days after Appomattox .  While running at night without lights, the Horizon collided with the Moderator near Vicksburg on 1 May 1863 resulting in the deaths of many soldiers.

        All six boats were built and manned from the Pittsburgh region.  The Clara Poe and the Horizon were owned and operated by my guys from Georgetown , PA.

        Another description of the impact of the Civil War on river commerce is found in a brief editorial - The Golden Age of Steamboating.  If the hyperlink fails, the web page is:

         http://georgetownsteamboats.com/gs/the-golden-age-of-steamboating/

        Research on RR capabilities during the Civil War continues.

        Fran Nash