German Regiments in the Civil War

  • Joseph R. Reinhart
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 2009
      Group
      There were approximately 30 German Regiments that fought in the American Civil War. They were composed mostly of immigrants from Germany. I believe that they are not well known. I am trying to find out if this is true and which are the best known. There were 10 from New York, 8 from Ohio, 5 from Pennsylvania, and lesser amounts from other Union states. Indiana had only 1.

      Please e-mail me at sixthky@bellsouth and give me the names (number and state) of three German regiments (or fewer if you can't name 3). Rank them in the order of the ones you know the most about to the least. If you can't name any please say None.I will share the results with the group.

      Thanks
      Joe
    • Norris Darrall
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 15, 2009
        http://32ndindianainfantry.yolasite.com

        This is new site for the 32nd Indiana Infantry (First German).
        To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        From: sixthky@...
        Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 08:26:32 -0700
        Subject: [civilwarwest] German Regiments in the Civil War

        Group
        There were approximately 30 German Regiments that fought in the American Civil War. They were composed mostly of immigrants from Germany. I believe that they are not well known. I am trying to find out if this is true and which are the best known. There were 10 from New York, 8 from Ohio, 5 from Pennsylvania, and lesser amounts from other Union states. Indiana had only 1.

        Please e-mail me at sixthky@bellsouth and give me the names (number and state) of three German regiments (or fewer if you can't name 3). Rank them in the order of the ones you know the most about to the least. If you can't name any please say None.I will share the results with the group.

        Thanks
        Joe

        Ready for Fall shows? Use Bing to find helpful ratings and reviews on digital tv's. Click here.