Re: [civilwarwest] 8th Illinois at Shiloh

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2009
      You've come to the right place. I don't study to the unit level, but many do. So enjoy.

      Thank you for your service.

      Ken
    • NPeters102@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 21, 2009
        In a message dated 07/20/2009 3:36:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tawillging@... writes:
        Don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but over the last couple of years I have seen my interest shift from primarily the eastern theater to the west

        Tim,

        First I want to welcome you to this group & to thank you for your service to this country. Much appreciated!

        There is a quote attributed to President Lincoln re: the skinning a wild animal. I believe it was a squirrel. According to Abe, those who don't know the proper procedure, hold the legs while a learned one does the skinning. I like to think of this when comparing the Eastern & Western Theaters. The boys in the West got the job done while the boys in the East held the legs.

        Respectfully,

        Mike Peters
        npeters102@...
        colliszouave@...
        _____________________________________
        "... you don't know what you've got till it's gone
        They paved paradise & put up a parking lot"
      • Joseph R. Reinhart
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 22, 2009
          Tim
          Thanks you for your service to our country.

          You can find the official report for the 8th Illinois Infantry and its brigade for the battle of Shiloh on the internet at

          It is on Cornell University Library searchable "Making of America" Website.

          I hope this helps you.
          Joe

          I am new to the group, so I will introduce myself first. My name is Tim Willging. I am currently a Captain in the Army doing my 2nd tour in Iraq. I have held a lifelong interest in the Civil War and military history in general. Don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but over the last couple of years I have seen my interest shift from primarily the eastern theater to the west, specifically the Army of the Tennessee's area of operations. That being said, I am looking for more information on the involvement of the 8th Illinois Volunteer Infantry at Shiloh. I know that they were under McClernand, but don't know much else and at the moment am without my reference library. I know that they were pretty shot up at Fort Donelson and suffered a little over 100 casualties at Shiloh, but that is about it. Any help would be appreciated.

          Tim Willging

        • Nick KURTZ
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 22, 2009
            Also check out
            http://battleshiloh.blogspot.com/2008/12/8th-illinois.html
            for a picture of the monument on the field
            --Nick

            To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com