Rebel Yell

  • Jason Unwin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2009
      I could imagine it would have been terrifying to hear the "Rebel Yell" from hundreds or thousands of Confederate soldiers. Now if only we could "learn" it today and recreate it for reenactments.

      Sound has an immense effect in battle. My JROTC in instructor in high school vividly remembered the bugles of the Red Chinese as they attacked the 2nd Infantry Division during the Korean War. He talked about this a twenty five years after the events had occurred.

      Thanks for the post.

      Jason Unwin
      Ordnance Sergeant
      5th Texas Artillery

    • jlawrence@kc.rr.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
        Ken Burns, in his last episode of "The Civil War", has some footage of, IIRC, the 1933 reunion at Gettysburg.
        In a reenactment, one of the grizzled let's out a rebel yell. It sounds like "woo"
        Not very scary from am octogenarian, but from the lungs of a pumped up 22 year old, who knows.

        Regards,

        Jack

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
          In that recording on the web now, the yell is delivered in sort of a Morse Code style, which surprised me.

          When I was a kid, there were people who thought they knew the yell, but it was a big long yell in very high pitch.

          I'd have to find my sources, but there are a couple I've found that dispute the common assumption that Confederates borrowed the battle cry from American Indians. On the contrary it originated with the Scots and Scots-Irish according to what I have read.
        • Sweetsstar@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
            I have also read recently and I can't remember the source that the Yell was different in different parts of the country.  Different troops had a different type of yell than others.  I would guess the yell would have been a combination of Indian and Welsh, Irish and Scottish battle crys.  That makes sense.
            Susan
          • martin_winser@btopenworld.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009
              Check out the Wikipedia entry for "Rebel Yell"..it contains links to the
              recordings made by CSA veterans...the yell probably sounded different
              to the recording - but it's the best representation we're likely to get.

              Regards

              Martin Winser

              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322977x1201367197/aol?redir\
              =http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd\
              =
              > JunestepsfooterNO62)

            • Carl Williams
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "martin_winser@..." <martin_winser@...> wrote:

                > Check out the Wikipedia entry for "Rebel Yell"..

                thanks, some confirmation also to origins there and also contemporaneous accounts section is interesting