CW talk radio / Bierce / Rebel Yell

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2009
      "it was the ugliest sound any mortal ever heard"

      this is cross-posted so apologies to those who saw it at Consimworld, but I am pretty sure it should be posted here too.

      Surely an oversight due to time limitations, on the latest CWTR Prof P. and his guest Craig A. Warren talk about Ambrose Bierce and the rebel yell without ever mentioning what Bierce had to say about it. At least for me, Bierce painted most masterfully what it must have been like to hear the rebel yell on the receiving side, the side that had to worry about soon facing those troops voicing their fanaticism. Thanks to a link provided by the show, see below, I can produce it here. An event just prior to the final collapse of the Federal position at Chickamauga. Bierce really does an outstanding job of creating the image of being nearly surrounded, in addition to describing the blood curling affect, in just a few words:

      "At last it grew too dark to fight. Then away to our left and rear some of Bragg's people set up "the rebel yell." It was taken up successively and passed round to our front, along our right and in behind us again, until it seemed almost to have got to the point whence it started. It was the ugliest sound that any mortal ever heard-even a mortal exhausted and unnerved by two days of hard fighting, without sleep, without rest, without food and without hope. There was, however, a space somewhere at the back of us across which that horrible yell did not prolong itself; and through that we finally retired in profound silence and dejection, unmolested."

      Also there was a link to a recording of the Yell. As pointed out, however, one person doing the yell just won't produce it right, but still pretty fascinating.

      the rebel yell link:
      http://www.26nc.org/History/Rebel-Yell/Sound-Files/RebelYell_l.wav

      the other referenced link:
      http://www.ambrosebierce.org/littlechick.htm
    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2009
        from that wikipedia article, the below link, a couple of sort of funny descriptions:

        "ki-yi', & 'yip-yip-yip'"
        amongst many

        from:

        http://home.freeuk.net/gazkhan/rebelyell.htm
      • Ronald black
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2009
          What is this????

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 11, 2009
            sorry, should have made it clear we were still talking about the Rebel Yell, but it makes no sense unless you go to the link.

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...> wrote:

            > What is this????

          • Tony Gunter
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 15, 2009
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@...> wrote:

              > from that wikipedia article, the below link, a couple of sort of funny descriptions:
              >
              > "ki-yi', & 'yip-yip-yip'"
              > amongst many
              >
              > from:
              >
              > http://home.freeuk.net/gazkhan/rebelyell.htm

              On the wiki recording, it sounded like someone being poked with a hot iron:

              OW! OW! OOOWOOOOW!!!