Re: [civilwarwest] 13th Iowa Infantry

  • Dave Gorski
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2009
      >Does anyone know of a good reference for the 13th Iowa Infantry?

      According to Dornbusch's "Military Bibliography of the Civil War,"
      The most specific to the 13th Iowa would be:

      "History of Company A, Thirteenth Iowa Vetran Infantry," written
      by Henry H. Rood. It might be hard to find, printed in 1889.
      A Cedar Rapids library or historical society might have a copy.

      The is a family history written by John Wesley Eyestone, published
      in 1910, that includes Eyestone's Civil War experiences with the
      13th Iowa Infantry. (106 Pages)

      MOLLUS has several "Sketches of the Thirteenth Iowa."

      "An Iowa Doctor in Blue," the letters of Seneca Thrall, edited by
      Mildred Throne in 1960 shows some references to the 13th Iowa.

      My suggestion would be to contact the historical society or library
      at Davenport, Iowa, since that is where that particular regiment was
      formed. If the local newspaper there was in operation at that time
      they may also have stories on microfilm to share. Many local papers
      followed "their boys" pretty closely and kept the public informed.

      Another place to look would be -
      The State Historical Society of Iowa and Iowa State Archives at
      the Capitol Complex, 600 East Locust, Des Moines Iowa, 50319-0290
      (515) 281-5111 - www.culturalaffairs.org

      They might have the regimental books, rosters, hospital logs and other
      correspondence specific to the 13th Iowa.

      Hope this helps some. Good Luck.

      Regards, Dave Gorski
    • NPeters102@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2009
        Dave,

        Much obliged sir!

        Mike Peters

        From: Dave Gorski
        Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 14:39:17 -0500
        To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] 13th Iowa Infantry

        >Does anyone know of a good reference for the 13th Iowa Infantry?

        According to Dornbusch's "Military Bibliography of the Civil War,"
        The most specific to the 13th Iowa would be:

        "History of Company A, Thirteenth Iowa Vetran Infantry," written
        by Henry H. Rood. It might be hard to find, printed in 1889.
        A Cedar Rapids library or historical society might have a copy.

        The is a family history written by John Wesley Eyestone, published
        in 1910, that includes Eyestone's Civil War experiences with the
        13th Iowa Infantry. (106 Pages)

        MOLLUS has several "Sketches of the Thirteenth Iowa."

        "An Iowa Doctor in Blue," the letters of Seneca Thrall, edited by
        Mildred Throne in 1960 shows some references to the 13th Iowa.

        My suggestion would be to contact the historical society or library
        at Davenport, Iowa, since that is where that particular regiment was
        formed. If the local newspaper there was in operation at that time
        they may also have stories on microfilm to share. Many local papers
        followed "their boys" pretty closely and kept the public informed.

        Another place to look would be -
        The State Historical Society of Iowa and Iowa State Archives at
        the Capitol Complex, 600 East Locust, Des Moines Iowa, 50319-0290
        (515) 281-5111 - www.culturalaffairs .org

        They might have the regimental books, rosters, hospital logs and other
        correspondence specific to the 13th Iowa.

        Hope this helps some. Good Luck.

        Regards, Dave Gorski

      • Dick Weeks
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2009
          Good idea on Dornbusch Dave. I checked that earlier in hopes that I might
          be able to help. Didn't find too much on the Internet after searching on
          Henry H. Rood and John Wesley Eyestone. However, they did make me think of
          something. I have a lot of regiments listed on the old LSU site that I now
          maintain. When I looked up the 13th Iowa I found that most of what was
          there was from the Official Records. However, there is a link to some
          letters by Seneca Thrall, also mentioned in Dornbusch. Since Mike mentioned
          letters in his original request these might be helpful.

          http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/uniainf2.htm#13thinf

          Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
          http://www.civilwarhome.com

        • NPeters102@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2009
            Thanks Shotgun!

            Mike

            > >Does anyone know of a good reference for the 13th Iowa Infantry?
            >>

            > According to Dornbusch's "Military Bibliography of the Civil War,"
            > The most specific to the 13th Iowa would be:
            >
            > "History of Company A, Thirteenth Iowa Vetran Infantry," written
            > by Henry H. Rood. It might be hard to find, printed in 1889.
            > A Cedar Rapids library or historical society might have a copy.
            >
            > The is a family history written by John Wesley Eyestone, published
            > in 1910, that includes Eyestone's Civil War experiences with the
            > 13th Iowa Infantry. (106 Pages)
            >
            > MOLLUS has several "Sketches of the Thirteenth Iowa."
            >
            > "An Iowa Doctor in Blue," the letters of Seneca Thrall, edited by
            > Mildred Throne in 1960 shows some references to the 13th Iowa.
            >
            > My suggestion would be to contact the historical society or library
            > at Davenport, Iowa, since that is where that particular regiment was
            > formed. If the local newspaper there was in operation at that time
            > they may also have stories on microfilm to share. Many local papers
            > followed "their boys" pretty closely and kept the public informed.
            >
            > Another place to look would be -
            > The State Historical Society of Iowa and Iowa State Archives at
            > the Capitol Complex, 600 East Locust, Des Moines Iowa, 50319-0290
            > (515) 281-5111 - www.culturalaffairs .org
            >
            > They might have the regimental books, rosters, hospital logs and other
            > correspondence specific to the 13th Iowa.
            >
            > Hope this helps some. Good Luck.
            >
            > Regards, Dave Gorski

          • Dave Gorski
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2009
              >Does anyone know of a good reference for the 13th Iowa Infantry?

              Try this site - http://iagenweb.org/civilwar/books/logan/mil405.htm

              Lots of detailed info on the 13th Iowa, including correspondence.

              Regards, Dave Gorski
            • NPeters102@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2009
                Thanks again!