Re: [civilwarwest] 13th Iowa Infantry

  • NPeters102@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2009
      Terry,

      I am inquiring for a friend. He was hoping for a regimental or possibly a book of letters/diary.

      Thanks for the reply.

      Respectfully,

      Mike Peters

      From: Terry Johnston
      Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 14:05:50 -0400
      To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] 13th Iowa Infantry

      Mike:

      Depends on what you're looking for, of course. If it's a roster and a brief history of the regiment, check out Guy Logan's Roster and Record of Iowa Troops in the Rebellion (6 vols, published 1911).

      Terry

      On May 3, 2009, at 1:57 PM, NPeters102@aol. com wrote:

      Does anyone know of a good reference for the 13th Iowa Infantry?

      Respectfully,

      Mike Peters
      npeters102@aol. com
      colliszouave@ yahoo.com
      ____________ _________ _________ _______
      "... you don't know what you've got till it's gone
      They paved paradise & put up a parking lot"

      The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!

    • Dave Gorski
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2009
        >Does anyone know of a good reference for the 13th Iowa Infantry?

        According to Dornbusch's "Military Bibliography of the Civil War,"
        The most specific to the 13th Iowa would be:

        "History of Company A, Thirteenth Iowa Vetran Infantry," written
        by Henry H. Rood. It might be hard to find, printed in 1889.
        A Cedar Rapids library or historical society might have a copy.

        The is a family history written by John Wesley Eyestone, published
        in 1910, that includes Eyestone's Civil War experiences with the
        13th Iowa Infantry. (106 Pages)

        MOLLUS has several "Sketches of the Thirteenth Iowa."

        "An Iowa Doctor in Blue," the letters of Seneca Thrall, edited by
        Mildred Throne in 1960 shows some references to the 13th Iowa.

        My suggestion would be to contact the historical society or library
        at Davenport, Iowa, since that is where that particular regiment was
        formed. If the local newspaper there was in operation at that time
        they may also have stories on microfilm to share. Many local papers
        followed "their boys" pretty closely and kept the public informed.

        Another place to look would be -
        The State Historical Society of Iowa and Iowa State Archives at
        the Capitol Complex, 600 East Locust, Des Moines Iowa, 50319-0290
        (515) 281-5111 - www.culturalaffairs.org

        They might have the regimental books, rosters, hospital logs and other
        correspondence specific to the 13th Iowa.

        Hope this helps some. Good Luck.

        Regards, Dave Gorski
      • NPeters102@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2009
          Dave,

          Much obliged sir!

          Mike Peters

          From: Dave Gorski
          Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 14:39:17 -0500
          To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>

          >Does anyone know of a good reference for the 13th Iowa Infantry?

          According to Dornbusch's "Military Bibliography of the Civil War,"
          The most specific to the 13th Iowa would be:

          "History of Company A, Thirteenth Iowa Vetran Infantry," written
          by Henry H. Rood. It might be hard to find, printed in 1889.
          A Cedar Rapids library or historical society might have a copy.

          The is a family history written by John Wesley Eyestone, published
          in 1910, that includes Eyestone's Civil War experiences with the
          13th Iowa Infantry. (106 Pages)

          MOLLUS has several "Sketches of the Thirteenth Iowa."

          "An Iowa Doctor in Blue," the letters of Seneca Thrall, edited by
          Mildred Throne in 1960 shows some references to the 13th Iowa.

          My suggestion would be to contact the historical society or library
          at Davenport, Iowa, since that is where that particular regiment was
          formed. If the local newspaper there was in operation at that time
          they may also have stories on microfilm to share. Many local papers
          followed "their boys" pretty closely and kept the public informed.

          Another place to look would be -
          The State Historical Society of Iowa and Iowa State Archives at
          the Capitol Complex, 600 East Locust, Des Moines Iowa, 50319-0290
          (515) 281-5111 - www.culturalaffairs .org

          They might have the regimental books, rosters, hospital logs and other
          correspondence specific to the 13th Iowa.

          Hope this helps some. Good Luck.

          Regards, Dave Gorski

        • Dick Weeks
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2009
            Good idea on Dornbusch Dave. I checked that earlier in hopes that I might
            be able to help. Didn't find too much on the Internet after searching on
            Henry H. Rood and John Wesley Eyestone. However, they did make me think of
            something. I have a lot of regiments listed on the old LSU site that I now
            maintain. When I looked up the 13th Iowa I found that most of what was
            there was from the Official Records. However, there is a link to some
            letters by Seneca Thrall, also mentioned in Dornbusch. Since Mike mentioned
            letters in his original request these might be helpful.

            http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/uniainf2.htm#13thinf

            Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
            http://www.civilwarhome.com

          • NPeters102@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2009
              Thanks Shotgun!

              Mike

              > >Does anyone know of a good reference for the 13th Iowa Infantry?
              >>

              > According to Dornbusch's "Military Bibliography of the Civil War,"
              > The most specific to the 13th Iowa would be:
              >
              > "History of Company A, Thirteenth Iowa Vetran Infantry," written
              > by Henry H. Rood. It might be hard to find, printed in 1889.
              > A Cedar Rapids library or historical society might have a copy.
              >
              > The is a family history written by John Wesley Eyestone, published
              > in 1910, that includes Eyestone's Civil War experiences with the
              > 13th Iowa Infantry. (106 Pages)
              >
              > MOLLUS has several "Sketches of the Thirteenth Iowa."
              >
              > "An Iowa Doctor in Blue," the letters of Seneca Thrall, edited by
              > Mildred Throne in 1960 shows some references to the 13th Iowa.
              >
              > My suggestion would be to contact the historical society or library
              > at Davenport, Iowa, since that is where that particular regiment was
              > formed. If the local newspaper there was in operation at that time
              > they may also have stories on microfilm to share. Many local papers
              > followed "their boys" pretty closely and kept the public informed.
              >
              > Another place to look would be -
              > The State Historical Society of Iowa and Iowa State Archives at
              > the Capitol Complex, 600 East Locust, Des Moines Iowa, 50319-0290
              > (515) 281-5111 - www.culturalaffairs .org
              >
              > They might have the regimental books, rosters, hospital logs and other
              > correspondence specific to the 13th Iowa.
              >
              > Hope this helps some. Good Luck.
              >
              > Regards, Dave Gorski

            • Dave Gorski
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2009
                >Does anyone know of a good reference for the 13th Iowa Infantry?

                Try this site - http://iagenweb.org/civilwar/books/logan/mil405.htm

                Lots of detailed info on the 13th Iowa, including correspondence.

                Regards, Dave Gorski
              • NPeters102@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2009
                  Thanks again!