Re: [civilwarwest] Female soldiers in the Western Theater

  • Sweetsstar@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2009
      Best sources are  They Fought Like Demons written by Deanne Blanton and Uncommon Soldier by Laura Cook Burgess .
      Susan Sweet
    • swan_pat_estelle
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2009
        Susan,
        Thanks for your response. I agree that Blanton and Cook is an excellent, and perhaps the best, source for an overview of women soldiers in the Civil War. Nonetheless, their focus is on the more general topic and not on the individual soldiers and where and with whom they fought. For example, they were the first to identify the medical records for Frances Hook (about whom I wrote earlier in this thread), but they do not identify with whom or where she fought.

        My interest is those women who fought as soldiers and when and where they fought. I'm thinking that some folks on this forum may have very specific information about such service.

        pat-estelle

      • Sweetsstar@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2009
          Oh sorry , Hope someone can help you .  I would be interested in reading more about the women .
          Susan
        • swan_pat_estelle
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2009
            Susan,
            Raul sent the following directly to me:
            ""Hi !

            Since you are interesting, here is some information regarding your question

            www.latinamericanstudies.org/velazquez.htm:

            I would appreciate if you can sent this web about " Cubans in the U.S.Civil War " ( latinamericanstudies.org ) to the list, for some reasons the list can't get my e-mails but I always can get yours, thank you ! .

            Sincerely

            - Raul Hernandez-Baquero
            Florida""

            Has he been deleted from the group?

            In any case, the problem with this particular story of the Cuban-woman who wrote about her service during the Civil War is to find wartime evidence of her service. What wartime evidence exists of her service during the Civil War?

            Pat_Estelle

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Sweetsstar@... wrote:

            > Oh sorry , Hope someone can help you . I would be interested in reading
            > more about the women .
            > Susan
            > **************Check all of your email inboxes from anywhere on the web.
            > Try the new Email Toolbar now!
            > (http://toolbar.aol.com/mail/download.html?ncid=txtlnkusdown00000027)

          • Dave Gorski
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2009
              >Who were the others who actually served as soldiers?

              I can give you some names, but not much more for several.
              I'm not sure how much is actually known about them. Perhaps
              an Internet search of the names can give you more information.

              Mary Burns enlisted in a Michigan unit but was identified as
              a woman shortly after her enlistment and dismissed.

              Frances Clalin was in a Union Missouri Cavalry Militia unit.

              Sara Collins enlisted in a Wisconsin Regiment but was discovered
              before her unit finished training.

              Sarah Emma Edmonds was in Company F, 2nd Michigan as
              "Franklin Thompson". According to my notes she served as
              a "male" nurse.

              Fanny Wilson enlisted in the 24th New Jersey. After she was
              discovered and discharged, she enlisted with the 3rd Illinois Cavalry.

              Jennie Hodges enlisted in the 95th Illinois under the name Albert
              Cashier. She served for 3 years and her gender was not discovered.
              She continued to live as a man until 1911 when she was involved
              in an automobile accident that landed her in a hospital for a lengthy
              period of time. That hospital stay uncovered her secret.

              Nellie A. K. enlisted into a unit in the Army of the Cumberland/
              She was discharged when her gender was revealed.

              Mary Wise was with an unknown Indiana unit for two years before
              being discovered. She was discharged but got her muster out pay.

              There were also a few women who fought as soldiers for the Confederacy.

              Mary and Molly Bell were discovered serving with Jubal Early
              for two years as Tom Parker and Bob Martin.

              Malinda Blalock / as Sam Blalock served for two months before being
              discovered and discharged.

              Amy Clarke was not discovered until she was wounded and captured.
              She was given a dress and sent home.

              Margaret Henry and Mary Wright were captured in uniform in Tennessee
              in March of 1865.

              One of the more famous was Laura J. Williams, who as Lt. Henry Benford,
              raised a Texas unit and led it at Shiloh.

              Wish I could be more specific for you. I've collected notes over the
              years and realize now that in my early years of note taking (30 years ago)
              sources were not as important to me as the stories. Lots of this
              type of thing I wish I could go back to, but alas. Anyway, hope this
              is of some help. I hope your search of the names will provide more

              Regards, Dave Gorski
            • Patricia Swan
              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2009
                Dave,
                Thanks very much for your very informative list. Several of the women
                on your list are also mentioned in "They Fought Like Demons" as well as
                Hall's more recent "Women on the Civil War Battlefront", though perhaps
                not all. Although I am not inquiring because of any writing project, I
                am inquiring about such women because my curiosity has been raised about
                how much is actually known about the service of women in the Civil War
                and how much is based more on folk lore. I am continuing to read and
                look for wartime documentation of women's service. I would consider a
                wartime letter from a soldier about a woman in his unit, a wartime
                newspaper interview with a woman soldier, or a military record as among
                possible documentation of a woman's service. After the war the romantic
                notion of women soldiers may have overtaken some supposed sources of
                information.
                Again, thank you for taking the time to give such a thoughtful
                response. I'm still hoping to hear from folks who have documentation.
                I do think that the case of Jennie Hodges (alias Albert Cashier) is
                sufficiently documented. I wonder about many of the others who are said
                to have actually served in the field.
                pat_estelle