Re: [civilwarwest] "Destroying an Army"

  • SDE80@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2009

      In a message dated 4/24/2009 12:11:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tony_gunter@... writes:
      I have seen this term thrown around rather liberally with regard to Mill Springs.

      The Confederate force retreated, crossed the river, burned the steamer behind it, and retreated to Gainesville where they reformed within the week.

      The Confederate "Army" at Mill Springs was no more "destroyed" than the Confederate Army at Shiloh.
      I'd agree.  The best that can be said is that its effectiveness was destroyed for a period of time.   Zollicoffer's Brigade at Mill Springs, with the addition of the 45th Tennessee, was Statham's Brigade at Shiloh.

      Sam Elliott

      The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!