RE: [civilwarwest] Re: sherman's better opponent

  • John D. Beatty
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 7, 2009
      While "waiting till a more powerful opponent made a mistake" has a visceral appeal, the Federals were orders of magnitude more powerful than the Confederates.  It would have to have been a whopper, and Sherman just didn't blunder that badly by 1864.

      Delay was the best of many bad options for the Confederacy by then, and its not at all clear that a better or worse delaying action in front of Atlanta would have made any difference in the conflict overall.

      ___________________________
      John D. Beatty
      Co-Author of "What Were They Thinking" from Merriam Press/Lulu
      "History is our only test for the consequences of ideas"

      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 8, 2009
        Point is basing future operations based on what the enemy may or may not do is less planning than it is praying.

        John D. Beatty
        Co-Author of "What Were They Thinking" from Merriam Press/Lulu
        "History is our only test for the consequences of ideas"

        While "waiting till a more powerful opponent made a mistake" has a visceral appeal, the Federals were orders of magnitude more powerful than the Confederates. It would have to have been a whopper, and Sherman just didn't blunder that badly by 1864.

        The mistake may have been made not necessarily by Sherman, but by Schofield, McPherson, or Thomas or by one of their subordinates. This came close to be several times. Johnston acted on these a couple of times, but his orders were not followed by subordinates, and thus any victorious action by the Confederates, was defeated before it even started Granted, the Confederates with their disfunctional command structure were more apt to make a mistake, the Union could do so also.

        JEJ