Re: sherman's better opponent

  • gnrljejohnston
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 7, 2009
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...> wrote:

      > I think Joe Johnston is the "better" of the two. I do not think that he did a great job in holding Sherman off. While agreeing stopping Sherman cold is not a realistic option, he could have delaid him longer. This would have required some fighting along the way.

      But James, Johnston did try to do some fighting along the way, however, his plans went awry by the actions of his subordinates, namely Hood and Polk. Lets not put all the blame on Johnston.

      JEJ
    • John D. Beatty
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 8, 2009
        Point is basing future operations based on what the enemy may or may not do is less planning than it is praying.

        John D. Beatty
        Co-Author of "What Were They Thinking" from Merriam Press/Lulu
        "History is our only test for the consequences of ideas"