Re: sherman's better opponent / Bragg

  • gnrljejohnston
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 7, 2009
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@...> wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, LWhite64@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Sadly the more I have looked into Hardee the less respect I have for him.?
      > >
      > > Lee
      >
      > I brought him up becuase in the comments about Sherman's opponent on Missionary Ridge, the discussion went straight from Bragg to Cleburne without mention of Hardee, who was between the two in the chain of command.
      >

      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "swan_pat_estelle" <pbswan@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I guess Bragg was in charge at Missionary Ridge when Sherman's forces didn't do so well. Of course, it was Cleburne who Sherman was facing. Credit to Bragg or Cleburne? Or was it Sherman's own mistakes?
      > > >

      > > Poor Hardee. Never gets any respect.

      Sherman's defeat at TH was the result of several factors. 1. Cleburne's position. 2. The amount of cannon fire Cleburne had at this defensive position to support his infantry. 3. The steep terrain Sherman's troops had to climb to get to Cleburne's position. 4. The slipperiness of those slopes as a result of recent rainfall. 5. Sherman's main fault was the lack of support for Corse's then later Walcutt's Brigade who were the lead skirmishers at TH.

      I give a lot of credit to Swet's Mississippi Battery in stopping the Union troops. When the battle was over, that battery was commanded by a corporal of the battery and was manned just by infantry troops.
      They did their job well.

      JEJ
    • John D. Beatty
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 8, 2009
        Point is basing future operations based on what the enemy may or may not do is less planning than it is praying.

        John D. Beatty
        Co-Author of "What Were They Thinking" from Merriam Press/Lulu
        "History is our only test for the consequences of ideas"