Re: sherman's better opponent / Bragg

  • Ron Black
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 3, 2009
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, LWhite64@... wrote:

      > Sadly the more I have looked into Hardee the less respect I have for him.?
      >
      > Lee

      Concerning General Hardee, he is a combat leader that I am still undecided about after only 25 years of reading about the civil war. I believe him to have been a steady person but one without major achievements. Well liked by the soldiers and most of his brothers officers, he provided comfort to the army because of his known, steady but of an average ability. His refusal to take command of the army in Tennesse at least twice appears odd when he was angered when the job was offered and accepted by Hood. He never lived up to his assumed abilities. Having said this, I still rate him higher then L. Polk. The command problems of the confederate Army of Tennessee (Bragg-Beauregard-Johnston) was not helped by having as corps commanders, one of average ability (Hardee) and one of limited ability (Polk). The next level of combat commanders (Stewart, Cleburne, Bate, Forrest, Cheatham, Chalmers, Etc. is were this army could have excelled.
      Ron
    • John D. Beatty
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 8, 2009
        Point is basing future operations based on what the enemy may or may not do is less planning than it is praying.

        John D. Beatty
        Co-Author of "What Were They Thinking" from Merriam Press/Lulu
        "History is our only test for the consequences of ideas"