sherman's better opponent

  • pete@blueone.net
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 29, 2009
      I have never tried to start a new thread and rarely do more than read others, but here goes.

      In the Atlanta Campaign, who was the better opponent against Sherman, Johnston or Hood?

      It seems everywhere Sherman turned, he found Johnston in front of him, usually entrenched and inviting battle. OTOH, Hood attacked rather than await further Union movements.  Once Atlanta fell, Hood took the Army of Tennessee around Sherman and tried to get the Yankees follow him back north by marching along Sherman's line of supply.  Trying to view this without the benefit of 140+ yrs of hindsight, one of Hood's better ideas.

      Thanks,
      Peter Cohron
    • John D. Beatty
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 8, 2009
        Point is basing future operations based on what the enemy may or may not do is less planning than it is praying.

        John D. Beatty
        Co-Author of "What Were They Thinking" from Merriam Press/Lulu
        "History is our only test for the consequences of ideas"