RE: [civilwarwest] Polk's horse

  • Tom Gilbert
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2009
      Thanks, I'll pass it along .. tom g

      --- On Tue, 3/17/09, Dan H Mallett <orcaw@...> wrote:

      From: Dan H Mallett <orcaw@...>
      Subject: RE: [civilwarwest] Polk's horse
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, March 17, 2009, 1:56 PM

      “General Polk is killed!” the men in Beauregard’s

      gun emplacement cried.

      General Polk’s escorts quickly gathered Polk’s

      torn body together, placed it in a stretcher, and

      carried it down the back side of the hill, trailed by

      the General’s horse, Jerry, to the shelter of a tent

      in a ravine the rearward slope of the ridge, but it was

      immediately apparent from the horrific wound

      that nothing could be done – as one modern bishop

      would put it, “his soul was in heaven before his

      head hit the ground.” Johnston and Hardee both

      wept like children. “We have lost much!” Johnston

      cried, placing his hand on Polk’s head. “I would

      rather anything than this!”