Polk's horse

  • Tom Gilbert
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 17 10:25 AM
      A member of the Gettysburg Discussion Group just asked the following question:

      "I have an urgent need to find out the name of Leonidas Polk's horse during
      the CW"

      Can anyone answer this one?
      Tom Gilbert

    • SDE80@aol.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 17 10:56 AM

          http://www.geocities.com/capitalguards/CGSJun07.pdf.

          “General Polk is killed!” the men in Beauregard’s

          gun emplacement cried.

          General Polk’s escorts quickly gathered Polk’s

          torn body together, placed it in a stretcher, and

          carried it down the back side of the hill, trailed by

          the General’s horse, Jerry, to the shelter of a tent

          in a ravine the rearward slope of the ridge, but it was

          immediately apparent from the horrific wound

          that nothing could be done – as one modern bishop

          would put it, “his soul was in heaven before his

          head hit the ground.” Johnston and Hardee both

          wept like children. “We have lost much!” Johnston

          cried, placing his hand on Polk’s head. “I would

          rather anything than this!”

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 18 7:38 AM
            Thanks, I'll pass it along .. tom g