Re: [civilwarwest] Mason County War [re connection to Germans in ACW]

  • rbaquero@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15, 2009

       Hi Carl, this is all what you are telling us here absolutely right and what I had read regarding the pro-union Germans during the C.W. please go ahead Carl continue ! and thanks .

      - Raul

      Click to find high quality stock photos and images.

    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 17, 2009
        With your encouragement, thanks, boning up a bit on it too, been a while since I looked at some family stuff. After all it wasn't that long ago I didn't realize "the troubles" were referred to by some as the 'Mason County War' [it also has other names].

        2 Challenges:

        -Have to stay on topic

        -Have to be mindful that what is riveting to the family can be *utterly* boring to everybody else.

        The thing that is striking me at the moment is the longtime dual silence of the participants. It was clear that most of the old folks in the Baird branch of the family weren't talking much. And whatever the German-Americans had to say is now seemingly completely missing to historians. This was also mentioned by the author who spoke on Civil War Talk Radio about his book on the Ft. Jackson capitulation: absolutely no records can be found by those who mutinied, he said, German or otherwise. As far as I can tell, the German side of the story in the Mason County War is completely untold. No records here either? Surely these people were not all illiterate.

        As for the "Anglos", in:
        http://www.texasescapes.com/MikeCoxTexasTales/145MasonCountyHooDooWar.htm

        or if line breaks are a problem:
        http://tinyurl.com/can6cb

        it says, "No one in the first generation after it ended ever talked about it," recalled Mason resident Julius DeVos, one of several independent historians who has spent a considerable amount of time trying to tie down the details of the bloody story. "If anyone asked about what happened, what they would hear was something like, 'The trouble's over, let it die."

        So I am coming up with a theory of why this might be. Stay tuned.