Mason County War [re connection to Germans in ACW]

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15, 2009
      Some of my relatives got involved with the Mason County War. Probably it is easier [at first at least] to just post some Wikipedia text as explanation. But it is a case of a pro-Union German community and how that played out after the war.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_County_War

      "...despite a slight language barrier, the two groups at first cooperated fairly well, due to there being a considerable Indian threat. In 1860 the county's first Sheriff, Thomas Milligan, was killed by Indians, and the settlers, both Anglo and German, banded together to hunt down the hostiles.

      However, with the beginning of the American Civil War, the gaps between the two groups only got worse, as Texas voted overwhelmingly to secede, whereas in Mason County, due to the heavy German influence, the vote was overwhelming against secession. Although at that time there were no attacks in Mason County against Germans, in other parts of Texas German settlers suffered, resulting in resentment inside Mason County. The "Loyal Valley", an area of the county, was named for the German settlers' refusal to break away from the Union.

      Following the war, although tensions were high, there was little to no trouble due to the Union Army posting troops at Fort Mason. After the army closed the fort in 1869, law enforcement was left to the local population. Many Germans held positions of authority over the Anglos, both as judges and lawmen."

      [then tensions erupted into this 'war']

      The Bairds that are mentioned are relatives of mine.

      perhaps to be continued.

      Carl
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 15, 2009
        Please do continue it, Carl.
      • rbaquero@netzero.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2009

           Hi Carl, this is all what you are telling us here absolutely right and what I had read regarding the pro-union Germans during the C.W. please go ahead Carl continue ! and thanks .

          - Raul

          Click to find high quality stock photos and images.

        • Carl Williams
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 17, 2009
            With your encouragement, thanks, boning up a bit on it too, been a while since I looked at some family stuff. After all it wasn't that long ago I didn't realize "the troubles" were referred to by some as the 'Mason County War' [it also has other names].

            2 Challenges:

            -Have to stay on topic

            -Have to be mindful that what is riveting to the family can be *utterly* boring to everybody else.

            The thing that is striking me at the moment is the longtime dual silence of the participants. It was clear that most of the old folks in the Baird branch of the family weren't talking much. And whatever the German-Americans had to say is now seemingly completely missing to historians. This was also mentioned by the author who spoke on Civil War Talk Radio about his book on the Ft. Jackson capitulation: absolutely no records can be found by those who mutinied, he said, German or otherwise. As far as I can tell, the German side of the story in the Mason County War is completely untold. No records here either? Surely these people were not all illiterate.

            As for the "Anglos", in:
            http://www.texasescapes.com/MikeCoxTexasTales/145MasonCountyHooDooWar.htm

            or if line breaks are a problem:
            http://tinyurl.com/can6cb

            it says, "No one in the first generation after it ended ever talked about it," recalled Mason resident Julius DeVos, one of several independent historians who has spent a considerable amount of time trying to tie down the details of the bloody story. "If anyone asked about what happened, what they would hear was something like, 'The trouble's over, let it die."

            So I am coming up with a theory of why this might be. Stay tuned.