Re: [civilwarwest] Civil War Talk Radio/New Orleans Revisited

  • rbaquero@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009

       As far as I know until today, Germans were backing the** North openly ** specifically the ones in Texas, this information regarding Louisiana is new to me .

      - Raul

      Click here to find the perfect picture with our powerful photo search features.

    • Dave Gorski
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
        According to the "Encyclopedia of the Confederacy," Richard
        Current editor, "The second largest white ethnic group in the
        Confederacy was composed of German immigrants." There
        were 73,597 in the South just prior to the Civil War.

        The entry in the "Encyclopedia" is written by Jason Silverman.
        Silverman notes, " Ironically, despite their disaffection, because
        of their sheer numbers, the largest number of foreign troops
        sent by Texas into battle were German."

        Although the majority of these immigrants (over 50,000)
        were located in Texas, a number of German companies were
        formed in the east.

        A company was raised in Wilmington and it fought with the 18th
        North Carolina. Another company was raised in Charleston calling
        itself "The German Volunteers." There were also parts of 4th Brigade
        of the South Carolina militia known as "The Palmetto Schutzen"and
        "The German Fusiliers." A company in the South Carolina Cavalry
        were known as "German Hussars. There were also three companies
        in the South Carolina Artillery formed by Germans.

        Col. Augustus Reichard , Col. Leon von Zincken, Col. Gustav Hoffman,
        Lt. Col. victor von Scheliha, Lt. Col. B. F. Eshleman, Lt. Col. John P.
        Emrich, Lt. Col. B.W. Frobel and Col. Augustus Buchel were Coonfederate
        officers who were German immigrants.

        Silverman suggests for further reading;
        "German Seed in Texas Soil," by Terry Jordan
        "The German Texans," by Glen Lich
        "The Virginia Germans," by Klaus Wust
        as well as two books written by himself, Jason Silverman,
        "Beyond the Melting Pot in Dixie," and "Stars, Bars and Foreigners."

        Regards, Dave Gorski
      • Joseph R. Reinhart
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
          New Orleans had a large German (and Irish) population. Some Germans enlisted there. There were Germans and Irish in the Washington Artillery, 5th Company, but they drove the wagons and did the dirty work.
          Joe

           As far as I know until today, Germans were backing the** North openly ** specifically the ones in Texas, this information regarding Louisiana is new to me .

          - Raul

          Click here to find the perfect picture with our powerful photo search features.

        • Carl Williams
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
            thanks very much to all.

            I may be able to post my little story of post-civil war German/Reb altercation pretty soon. It does involve Texas!

            I did find the following interesting:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty-Eighters
          • Joseph R. Reinhart
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
              Carl
              You are probably aware of it but the best source for info about Germans in the Confederacy is a book entitled Foreigners in the Confederacy written by Ella Lonn. It was reprinted in paperback a year or so ago by Univ. of N. C. Press. The work is dated and contains some stereotypes but also a wealth of information.
              Joe

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2009

                Hi Carl, this is exactly de information I have regarding the Germans ...Thanks !