Re: Civil War Talk Radio/New Orleans Revisited

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
      BTW, Prof. P.'s show has a website now

      http://cwtr.org/
    • Joseph R. Reinhart
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
        Carl
        There were no German regiments in the Confederate army. The Confederates did not trust the German's loyalty to the C.S.A cause and limited their aggregation in units. As far as I can tell the most Germans in one unit were in the 20th Louisiana Infantry (Col. Augustus Reichard). The 20th contained three or four German companies and 4 Irish companies.
        Joe

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009

           As far as I know until today, Germans were backing the** North openly ** specifically the ones in Texas, this information regarding Louisiana is new to me .

          - Raul

          Click here to find the perfect picture with our powerful photo search features.

        • Dave Gorski
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
            According to the "Encyclopedia of the Confederacy," Richard
            Current editor, "The second largest white ethnic group in the
            Confederacy was composed of German immigrants." There
            were 73,597 in the South just prior to the Civil War.

            The entry in the "Encyclopedia" is written by Jason Silverman.
            Silverman notes, " Ironically, despite their disaffection, because
            of their sheer numbers, the largest number of foreign troops
            sent by Texas into battle were German."

            Although the majority of these immigrants (over 50,000)
            were located in Texas, a number of German companies were
            formed in the east.

            A company was raised in Wilmington and it fought with the 18th
            North Carolina. Another company was raised in Charleston calling
            itself "The German Volunteers." There were also parts of 4th Brigade
            of the South Carolina militia known as "The Palmetto Schutzen"and
            "The German Fusiliers." A company in the South Carolina Cavalry
            were known as "German Hussars. There were also three companies
            in the South Carolina Artillery formed by Germans.

            Col. Augustus Reichard , Col. Leon von Zincken, Col. Gustav Hoffman,
            Lt. Col. victor von Scheliha, Lt. Col. B. F. Eshleman, Lt. Col. John P.
            Emrich, Lt. Col. B.W. Frobel and Col. Augustus Buchel were Coonfederate
            officers who were German immigrants.

            Silverman suggests for further reading;
            "German Seed in Texas Soil," by Terry Jordan
            "The German Texans," by Glen Lich
            "The Virginia Germans," by Klaus Wust
            as well as two books written by himself, Jason Silverman,
            "Beyond the Melting Pot in Dixie," and "Stars, Bars and Foreigners."

            Regards, Dave Gorski
          • Joseph R. Reinhart
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
              New Orleans had a large German (and Irish) population. Some Germans enlisted there. There were Germans and Irish in the Washington Artillery, 5th Company, but they drove the wagons and did the dirty work.
              Joe

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
                thanks very much to all.

                I may be able to post my little story of post-civil war German/Reb altercation pretty soon. It does involve Texas!

                I did find the following interesting:

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty-Eighters
              • Joseph R. Reinhart
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
                  Carl
                  You are probably aware of it but the best source for info about Germans in the Confederacy is a book entitled Foreigners in the Confederacy written by Ella Lonn. It was reprinted in paperback a year or so ago by Univ. of N. C. Press. The work is dated and contains some stereotypes but also a wealth of information.
                  Joe

                • rbaquero@netzero.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 8, 2009

                    Hi Carl, this is exactly de information I have regarding the Germans ...Thanks !