RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Steamboats at Shiloh

  • John D. Beatty
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
      This may be more helpful than you know...Thanks!

      ___________________________
      John D. Beatty
      Co-Author of "What Were They Thinking" from Merriam Press/Lulu
      "History is our only test for the consequences of ideas"

      From: "hseyfer" <hbseyfer@alltel. net>
      Date: Sat, February 28, 2009 12:40 pm
      To: civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com

      Larry J. Daniel, Shiloh: The Battle that Changed the Civil War (New York: Touchstone, 1998),
      Hospital boat City of Memphis (pp 298, 299)
      Commissary boat Cincinnati  (p 299)
      Following the battle, "At one time forty boats, two and three deep, lined the bank at Pittsburg Landing.  Scores of bags of white corn were laid across the muddy bank, creating a kind of wharf." (p299)
      Steven E. Woodworth, Nothing but Victory: The Army of the Tennessee, 1861-1865 (New York: Vintage (Random House), 2005)
      "Thus he [Lew Wallace] was on the steamboat Jesse K. Bell, gazing eagerly downstream as Tigress approached." (p165)
      "Somewhere above Crump's Landing, Tigress met the steamboat John Warner, charging downstream.  Will Wallace, whose camps were closest to Pittsburg Landing, had dispatched it to notify Grant of the attack." (p165)
      "Ann Wallace served as a volunteer nurse to the hundreds of wounded who were brought about Minnehaha that day" (p191)
      Ann, wanting to surprise her husband Brigadier General W.H.L Wallace, sailed on the Minnehaha, which tied up at Pittsburg Landing late in the evening of April 5thAmong the mortally wounded brought onboard was her husband, who died on the 10th with her at his side.
      Lew Wallace (Jim Leeke ed.) Smoke, Sound & Fury: The Civil War Memoirs of Major-General Lew Wallace, U.S. Volunteers (Portland, OR, Strawberry Hill Press, 1998)
      Although Woodworth cites p111 of this book for the paragraph mentioning the Jesse K. Bell, Wallace states "A steamboat, an adjunct to my headquarters, lay tied up at the landing" without providing a name.
      Perhaps the best record of the boats around Pittsburg Landing during the battle and the days leading up to is "Abstract log of the U. S. S. Lexington, August 16, 1861—April 11, 1862, Commander R. N. Stembel." in Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion, Vol 22, pp 785, 786
      April 4.—At Pittsburg [Landing] at 11:50 a. m. The Crescent City and Planet arrived with troops.
      April 5.—Arrived at Crump's [Landing] at 4:50 a. m. The McDowell came down at 5:50 and landed with troops. The War Eagle came up with troops.  At 11 the Planet passed with troops. The steamer Fort Wayne passed up, loaded with pontoon boats.
      April 6.—Off Crump's Landing.  From 8 to meridian: Heavy firing heard all the morning in the direction of Pittsburg.  The John Ramm passed down and reported fighting at Pittsburg.  Got underway and stood down the river and came to a short distance above Pittsburg, near the Tyler.  At 10:30 the Tyler stood up the river and returned.  Men coming in report our loss heavy. The firing still continues without cessation.  Several shots have fallen in the river close to us. Men still coming in, great many of them wounded.  They report that the rebels are getting the better of us on the left wing. Rounded to at 12:15 and stood down the river.  Arrived at Crump's at 12:50.  At 1 p. m. the Fort Wayne passed up with pontoon boats on board.  Arrived at Pittsburg at 4.  The Tyler commenced shelling the woods at 4:15.  At 4:30 we commenced, fired l2 rounds.  At 4:37 stood down the river; stopped opposite Pittsburg to take Captain Hurd on board.  Dropped down after the Tyler at 5:45. Heavy firing on shore.  At 6 the rebels opened fire on Pittsburg; we returned it by shot and shell.  Fired 32 rounds, when, not hearing any more firing, we ceased at 6:10.  Stood down the river; everything quiet.  Stood up the river and arrived at Pittsburg at 10. At 10:15 two transports came up with troops; 4 boats arrived with troops.
      April 7.— At 1 a. m. went up and took position with the Tyler and commenced firing one shell every seventeen minutes.  Ceased firing at 5:30; went on shore and brought off in the cutter a wounded man belonging to the Twelfth Illinois, and put him aboard the hospital boat Hannibal.  Firing on shore heavy, with cheering all along the line.
      Thus we have -- in addition to the Lexington, Tyler, and Tigress – the following at or near Pittsburg Landing on April 6-7, 1864
      Cincinnati
      City of Memphis
      Crescent City
      Fort Wayne
      Hannibal
      Jesse K. Bell
      John Ramm
      John Warner (definitely at Pittsburg Landing)
      McDowell
      Minnehaha (definitely at Pittsburg Landing)
      Planet
      War Eagle
      Undoubtedly there were others, now forgotten.
      Incidentally, are you aware that Col. John Beatty commanded the Third Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  Later he was promoted to brigadier general and published his Civil War memoirs (John Beatty (Intro. Steven E. Woodworth), The Citizen-Soldier: The Memoirs of a Civil War Volunteer (Lincoln: University of Nebraska, 1998).

    • fwnash@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009

                                                      Mar 3

        Mr B

        A review of my list of steamers concerning their participation at Shiloh revealed six potential boats.  According to the Gibsons' dictionary four were listed at Shiloh.  The two others were chartered during the correct period and were listed at Vicksburg in 1863 so I assume the were also at Pittsburg Landing.  I may be incorrect.

        The owner/captains were three brothers, but maybe a fourth brother was a pilot, and one bro-in-law and one neighbor.

                                    Listed in

        Str                  Gibsons/Way   Shiloh     Owner/Capt             Pilot

        Clara Poe          Y            Y          Y         Thomas W Poe

        Ella                     Y           Y          Chart   Adam Poe

        Horizon             Y            Y          Y          JT Stockdale

        Jacob Poe         Y            Y          Y          Jacob Poe                ?George Poe

        Kenton              Y            Y          Chart    George W Ebert

        Yorktown          Y            Y          Y          Jacob Poe                 ?George Poe

        George W Poe was the youngest of four brothers working in the river freight business.  He often worked with his brothers so I assume he was the captain or pilot of one of his brother Jacob's boats.  I may be wrong, but Jacob can not be on both packets.  The boats without the definitive "Y" in the Shiloh column were chartered during the time period so again I assume they were transporting troops and supplies.  George W Ebert was the bro-in-law.  And Jackman T Stockdale lived next door to Thomas W Poe.

        The Yorktown is a mystery .  According to Way's Directory, she was not put into service till 1863.  Data from Gibsons and Way conflict.  Do not know who is correct.  Maybe another source will confirm its participation?!?

        The captains and their crews were civilians.  Whether impressed or chartered by the Quartermaster, the subject of military transport by civilian crews generated legal problems in the area of discipline, pay handling of prisoners, eligibility for pensions, etc.  There was discernible friction the military and civilian regulatory agencies.   From my reading, a a civilian streamer, especially if impressed, was not a good business proposition.

        What could be a better puzzle?

        Fran Nash

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 15, 2009
          Concerning steamboats at Shiloh, my grandfather and his artillery battery, arrived at Savannah on one and then traveled to "an obscure point known as Pittsburg Landing" on another. He did not leave a record of which steamboats they were.
          There is a record of which ones moved him around on the Mississippi River on the way from Memphis to Vicksburg. The Forsyth, the Iatan, the Platte Valley, and the Universe. Of course he had to walk through the mud from Milliken's Bend almost to Bruinsburg.

          David
        • John D. Beatty
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 16, 2009
            Transshipped...hm...explains why Savannah was so crowded...that's something, anyway.  Thanks!

            ___________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 6, 2009
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, fwnash@... wrote:

              >H'lo. I'm the steamboat guy. It's been quite some time since my last post. Much of that time has been spent developing a blog on Georgetown Steamboats. It has some great stories. It is a work in progress. It needs additional input, especially photographs. Much of the biographical data is about Poe steamboat captains and pilots who lived in Georgetown, PA during the golden age of steamboats. The jewel is an inherited journal from my great great grandmother, Nancy Ann (Poe) Ebert. Her journal recounts a steamboat trip with her husband, Capt George Washington Ebert, up the Missouri River aboard the steamer Mollie Ebert in 1869. It is 59 pages covering 57 grueling days.

              I have also identified ten Poe steamers employed, impressed and contracted, during the Civil War by the US Army Quartermaster: Argyle, Belfast, Clara Poe, Ella, Horizon, Jacob Poe, Kenton, Leonora, Melnotte, and Neptune. For Civil War duty, I rated my boats based on their entries in Gibson's Vessel Dictionary. Most were at both Pittsburg Landing and Vicksburg. In other cases where data sources were in conflict, I deferred to Capt Frederick Way's Packet Directory 1848-1994 because he interviewed Capt George WE Poe in 1941 and my family in 1971. Capt Way knew the history of Georgetown, PA and its steamboat captains and pilots. So I trust him.

              Six Poe boats worked the Montana Gold Rush and Indian Wars: Amelia Poe, Ida Stockdale, Mollie Ebert, Nick Wall, Sallie, and Yorktown. Capt Grant Marsh worked on the Ida Stockdale before he became famous the Indian Wars. Mark Twain wrote about the Nick Wall tragedy.

              Give it a look. My URL is:

              http://georgetownsteamboats.com

              I tried to peddle these tales to appropriate magazines, such as the S&D Reflector of the Ohio River Museum, The PA Heritage Magazine of the PA Museum Commission, etc. None were interested.

              I would appreciate your comments/corrections/additions and especially any photos and tales of my steamboat captains and their boats.

              Fran Nash