Re: [civilwarwest] Re: new member

  • PvtUpScope@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 27 11:36 PM
      Hi, George -
      I would agree that Foote's book and Catton's trilogy are excellent.
      I would also suggest the book "When is the Course of Human Events,"
      by Charles Adams.

      w r branham v
      vancouver, washington

      In a message dated 2/27/2009 6:58:23 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, pbswan@... writes:

      --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "savage.albert"
      <savage.albert@ ...> wrote:

      > >George,
      > As a kid one of the first set of books to spark my interest was Bruce
      > Catton's trilogy on the Army of the Potomac, "The Coming Fury"
      > "Terrible Swift Sword" and "Never Call Retreat." For a general
      > overview, Bruce Catton's "The Civil War" would be a good choice.
      > Amazon has both the trilogy as a boxed set and "The Civil War" in
      > paperback. Good luck on your search.
      >
      > Al Savage.

      George,
      I strongly agree with Al's comments. Catton's trilogy is interesting,
      just the right amount of detail for a start, and is written in a
      memorable fashion. The single volume gives a quick and easily read
      overview. I know folks who quote from these books in conversations
      almost 50 years after reading them!
      Pat Swan

      .

      0.0.011134.9570R:00ac2069 V:1058.3bc5.1.16.1.1.US S:CELTSOC [m4]US S:TEAZNHOT35 [mN]]]0