Re: new member

  • swan_pat_estelle
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27, 2009
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "savage.albert"
      <savage.albert@...> wrote:

      > >George,
      > As a kid one of the first set of books to spark my interest was Bruce
      > Catton's trilogy on the Army of the Potomac, "The Coming Fury"
      > "Terrible Swift Sword" and "Never Call Retreat." For a general
      > overview, Bruce Catton's "The Civil War" would be a good choice.
      > Amazon has both the trilogy as a boxed set and "The Civil War" in
      > paperback. Good luck on your search.
      >
      > Al Savage.

      George,
      I strongly agree with Al's comments. Catton's trilogy is interesting,
      just the right amount of detail for a start, and is written in a
      memorable fashion. The single volume gives a quick and easily read
      overview. I know folks who quote from these books in conversations
      almost 50 years after reading them!
      Pat Swan