[civilwarwest] Steamboats at Shiloh

  • John D. Beatty
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009

      Can someone point me somewhere that I can find a list of what steamboats (not gunboats) were present at Shiloh?

      ___________________________
      John D. Beatty
      Co-Author of "What Were They Thinking" from Merriam Press/Lulu
      "History is our only test for the consequences of ideas"
    • swan_pat_estelle
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
        John,
        The Army's Navy Series, Volume II, "Assault and Logistics: Union Army
        Coastal and River Operations, 1861 - 1866" on p. 79 is said to have a
        "full listing of all vessels known to have been part of the Shiloh
        operation." The compilers, Charles Dana Gibson and E. Kay Gibson also
        compiled a "Dictionary of Transports and Combatant Vessels Steam and
        Sail Employed by the Union Army 1861 - 1868." If one cares to, one
        can peruse the latter reference page by page to see those boats listed
        as having participated in the "Expedition to Pittsburg Landing -
        Shiloh, Apr. 1862." This source also names a couple others, somewhat
        less complete, on which the "full listing" is partially based. Of
        these, an article in the Tennessee Historical Magazine in July 1919 by
        T.M. Hurst is evidently the best.

        As you no doubt know, photographs taken a few days to a few weeks
        after the battle sometimes have names of boats anchored at Pittsburg
        Landing, including Grant's "Tigress" and Cincinnati Sanitary
        Commission's "Tycoon", a medical supplies boat. (see B&G Shiloh issue
        in 2001). A photograph in Miller's Photographic History of the Civil
        War, Vol. 1, names the"Universe" as one of the boats at P.L. Perhaps
        the L 0f C has even more such photos?
      • Nick KURTZ
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
          Somewhere in my mess of papers I have this list, I'll have to go looking tonight.  If memory serves correctly it is a very large list.
          --Nick

          To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
            Thanks!

            I started to go through the Dictionary and encountered a tremendous variation in the listings, beginning to regard it as unreliable since my other sources weren't confirming what they had.  I'll see if I can find a Volume II somewhere.

            I gleaned five vessels out of the Photographic History and another six from two other sources, but there had to have been scores of them on the night of 6 April.  I know at least five were off the Landing in the morning and unloaded before Grant arrived at about 9.  One source has over 150 moving the army to Pittsburg Landing in March, but then goes on to other things without naming them.

            ___________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
              I would like very much to see it if you can find it...an ongoing book on Shiloh...still in draft..

              ___________________________

              To: civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com
              From: pbswan@bellsouth. net
              Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:43:13 +0000

            • fwnash@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009

                                                       Feb 26

                Mr B

                Very much looking forward to your book.  Please give a shout when its published.

                If you require steamboat photos for your book, the two best online sites I have found are the PLCHC ( Public Library Cincinnati and Hamilton County) Rare Books and Special Collections.  The PLCHC has the Capt Frederick Way Jr  (the Ohio River historian and one of the founders of the Ohio River Museum in Marietta, OH) collection of steamboat photos.  The second is the U of Wisconsin- La Crosse Murphy Library -Special Collections.  Ask for Ms Deborah Odenwalder as your research assistant at UW-LC.

                I have both the The Army's Navy Series "Dictionary of Transports and Combatant Vessels Steam and Sail Employed by the Union Army 1861-1868" compiled by the Gibsons and "Way's Packet Directory, 1848-1994" compiled by Capt Frederick Way Jr.  For my boats, Way's Directory has provided more insight.  Capt Way was a riverboat captain and also the editor of the S&D Reflector ( Sons and Daghters of the Ohio River Pioneer Rivermen)  until his death.  His interviews and articles in the S&D Reflector from 1962-1992 are highly personal.  His Directory is the definitive book on steamboats/packets in my opinion.

                Good luck.

                Fran Nash

                To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                  Thanks!

                  I have the "Dictionary" and the local library has the other two.  This group will be among the first to learn when I sold it (two publishers are interested, one more than the other, but I have to finish it).  I'll get you an autographed copy when I can.

                  When I was putting the Buell story into outline it struck me that I had no idea how long it should have taken them to cross, who would organize it, and a myriad other questions that arose.  The Navy gunboats weren't even aware that there was a battle until late morning.  Part of my thesis is that there were a LOT of mistakes made at Shiloh by everyone, but that most of them were made because they simply didn't know what they were doing at that stage of the conflict, that the conditions wore the men out early, that the weather played a bigger part than most commetators have thought, and that Shiloh was a turning point of sorts for the entire course of American history.

                  Of which, more later.....

                  ___________________________

                  To: civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 28, 2009

                    Larry J. Daniel, Shiloh: The Battle that Changed the Civil War (New York: Touchstone, 1998),

                    Hospital boat City of Memphis (pp 298, 299)

                    Commissary boat Cincinnati  (p 299)

                    Following the battle, "At one time forty boats, two and three deep, lined the bank at Pittsburg Landing.  Scores of bags of white corn were laid across the muddy bank, creating a kind of wharf." (p299)

                    Steven E. Woodworth, Nothing but Victory: The Army of the Tennessee , 1861-1865 ( New York : Vintage (Random House), 2005)

                    "Thus he [Lew Wallace] was on the steamboat Jesse K. Bell , gazing eagerly downstream as Tigress approached." (p165)

                    "Somewhere above Crump's Landing, Tigress met the steamboat John Warner, charging downstream.  Will Wallace, whose camps were closest to Pittsburg Landing, had dispatched it to notify Grant of the attack." (p165)

                    "Ann Wallace served as a volunteer nurse to the hundreds of wounded who were brought about Minnehaha that day" (p191)

                    Ann, wanting to surprise her husband Brigadier General W.H.L Wallace, sailed on the Minnehaha, which tied up at Pittsburg Landing late in the evening of April 5th.  Among the mortally wounded brought onboard was her husband, who died on the 10th with her at his side.

                    Lew Wallace (Jim Leeke ed.) Smoke, Sound & Fury: The Civil War Memoirs of Major-General Lew Wallace , U.S. Volunteers (Portland, OR, Strawberry Hill Press, 1998)

                    Although Woodworth cites p111 of this book for the paragraph mentioning the Jesse K. Bell, Wallace states "A steamboat, an adjunct to my headquarters, lay tied up at the landing" without providing a name.

                    Perhaps the best record of the boats around Pittsburg Landing during the battle and the days leading up to is "Abstract log of the U. S. S. Lexington, August 16, 1861—April 11, 1862, Commander R. N. Stembel." in Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion, Vol 22, pp 785, 786

                    April 4.—At Pittsburg [Landing] at 11:50 a. m. The Crescent City and Planet arrived with troops.

                    April 5.—Arrived at Crump's [Landing] at 4:50 a. m. The McDowell came down at 5:50 and landed with troops. The War Eagle came up with troops.  At 11 the Planet passed with troops. The steamer Fort Wayne passed up, loaded with pontoon boats.

                    April 6.—Off Crump's Landing.  From 8 to meridian: Heavy firing heard all the morning in the direction of Pittsburg .  The John Ramm passed down and reported fighting at Pittsburg .  Got underway and stood down the river and came to a short distance above Pittsburg , near the Tyler .  At 10:30 the Tyler stood up the river and returned.  Men coming in report our loss heavy. The firing still continues without cessation.  Several shots have fallen in the river close to us. Men still coming in, great many of them wounded.  They report that the rebels are getting the better of us on the left wing. Rounded to at 12:15 and stood down the river.  Arrived at Crump's at 12:50.  At 1 p. m. the Fort Wayne passed up with pontoon boats on board.  Arrived at Pittsburg at 4.  The Tyler commenced shelling the woods at 4:15.  At 4:30 we commenced, fired l2 rounds.  At 4:37 stood down the river; stopped opposite Pittsburg to take Captain Hurd on board.  Dropped down after the Tyler at 5:45. Heavy firing on shore.  At 6 the rebels opened fire on Pittsburg ; we returned it by shot and shell.  Fired 32 rounds, when, not hearing any more firing, we ceased at 6:10.  Stood down the river; everything quiet.  Stood up the river and arrived at Pittsburg at 10. At 10:15 two transports came up with troops; 4 boats arrived with troops.

                    April 7.— At 1 a. m. went up and took position with the Tyler and commenced firing one shell every seventeen minutes.  Ceased firing at 5:30; went on shore and brought off in the cutter a wounded man belonging to the Twelfth Illinois, and put him aboard the hospital boat Hannibal.  Firing on shore heavy, with cheering all along the line.

                    Thus we have -- in addition to the Lexington , Tyler , and Tigress – the following at or near Pittsburg Landing on April 6-7, 1864

                    Cincinnati

                    City of Memphis

                    Crescent City

                    Fort Wayne

                    Hannibal

                    Jesse K. Bell

                    John Ramm

                    John Warner (definitely at Pittsburg Landing)

                    McDowell

                    Minnehaha (definitely at Pittsburg Landing)

                    Planet

                    War Eagle

                    Undoubtedly there were others, now forgotten.

                    Incidentally, are you aware that Col. John Beatty commanded the Third Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  Later he was promoted to brigadier general and published his Civil War memoirs (John Beatty (Intro. Steven E. Woodworth), The Citizen-Soldier: The Memoirs of a Civil War Volunteer (Lincoln: University of Nebraska, 1998).

                  • John D. Beatty
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 28, 2009
                      I have some of these, but the Woodworth source I hadn't gotten to yet.  Thanks!

                      The Colonel was a distant kinsman and so were several others in the conflict on both sides.  Different branches of my family's been in the Americas since 1611, so that's hardly surprising.

                      ___________________________

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 28, 2009

                                                  Feb 28

                        Mr B

                        Part history, part puzzle.  Hard facts on steamboats are scattered.

                        Attached is my worksheet on the str Argyle which was transporting Gen Grant's troops on the TN River and was part of the expedition to Pittsburg Landing in Apr 1862.  Whether impressed or contracted is unknown at this time.  I have one more family vessel at Pittsburg Landing, but I am not yet ready for prime time.

                        Fran Nash

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
                          This may be more helpful than you know...Thanks!

                          ___________________________

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009

                                                                          Mar 3

                            Mr B

                            A review of my list of steamers concerning their participation at Shiloh revealed six potential boats.  According to the Gibsons' dictionary four were listed at Shiloh.  The two others were chartered during the correct period and were listed at Vicksburg in 1863 so I assume the were also at Pittsburg Landing.  I may be incorrect.

                            The owner/captains were three brothers, but maybe a fourth brother was a pilot, and one bro-in-law and one neighbor.

                                                        Listed in

                            Str                  Gibsons/Way   Shiloh     Owner/Capt             Pilot

                            Clara Poe          Y            Y          Y         Thomas W Poe

                            Ella                     Y           Y          Chart   Adam Poe

                            Horizon             Y            Y          Y          JT Stockdale

                            Jacob Poe         Y            Y          Y          Jacob Poe                ?George Poe

                            Kenton              Y            Y          Chart    George W Ebert

                            Yorktown          Y            Y          Y          Jacob Poe                 ?George Poe

                            George W Poe was the youngest of four brothers working in the river freight business.  He often worked with his brothers so I assume he was the captain or pilot of one of his brother Jacob's boats.  I may be wrong, but Jacob can not be on both packets.  The boats without the definitive "Y" in the Shiloh column were chartered during the time period so again I assume they were transporting troops and supplies.  George W Ebert was the bro-in-law.  And Jackman T Stockdale lived next door to Thomas W Poe.

                            The Yorktown is a mystery .  According to Way's Directory, she was not put into service till 1863.  Data from Gibsons and Way conflict.  Do not know who is correct.  Maybe another source will confirm its participation?!?

                            The captains and their crews were civilians.  Whether impressed or chartered by the Quartermaster, the subject of military transport by civilian crews generated legal problems in the area of discipline, pay handling of prisoners, eligibility for pensions, etc.  There was discernible friction the military and civilian regulatory agencies.   From my reading, a a civilian streamer, especially if impressed, was not a good business proposition.

                            What could be a better puzzle?

                            Fran Nash

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 15, 2009
                              Concerning steamboats at Shiloh, my grandfather and his artillery battery, arrived at Savannah on one and then traveled to "an obscure point known as Pittsburg Landing" on another. He did not leave a record of which steamboats they were.
                              There is a record of which ones moved him around on the Mississippi River on the way from Memphis to Vicksburg. The Forsyth, the Iatan, the Platte Valley, and the Universe. Of course he had to walk through the mud from Milliken's Bend almost to Bruinsburg.

                              David
                            • John D. Beatty
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 16, 2009
                                Transshipped...hm...explains why Savannah was so crowded...that's something, anyway.  Thanks!

                                ___________________________

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 6, 2009
                                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, fwnash@... wrote:

                                  >H'lo. I'm the steamboat guy. It's been quite some time since my last post. Much of that time has been spent developing a blog on Georgetown Steamboats. It has some great stories. It is a work in progress. It needs additional input, especially photographs. Much of the biographical data is about Poe steamboat captains and pilots who lived in Georgetown, PA during the golden age of steamboats. The jewel is an inherited journal from my great great grandmother, Nancy Ann (Poe) Ebert. Her journal recounts a steamboat trip with her husband, Capt George Washington Ebert, up the Missouri River aboard the steamer Mollie Ebert in 1869. It is 59 pages covering 57 grueling days.

                                  I have also identified ten Poe steamers employed, impressed and contracted, during the Civil War by the US Army Quartermaster: Argyle, Belfast, Clara Poe, Ella, Horizon, Jacob Poe, Kenton, Leonora, Melnotte, and Neptune. For Civil War duty, I rated my boats based on their entries in Gibson's Vessel Dictionary. Most were at both Pittsburg Landing and Vicksburg. In other cases where data sources were in conflict, I deferred to Capt Frederick Way's Packet Directory 1848-1994 because he interviewed Capt George WE Poe in 1941 and my family in 1971. Capt Way knew the history of Georgetown, PA and its steamboat captains and pilots. So I trust him.

                                  Six Poe boats worked the Montana Gold Rush and Indian Wars: Amelia Poe, Ida Stockdale, Mollie Ebert, Nick Wall, Sallie, and Yorktown. Capt Grant Marsh worked on the Ida Stockdale before he became famous the Indian Wars. Mark Twain wrote about the Nick Wall tragedy.

                                  Give it a look. My URL is:

                                  http://georgetownsteamboats.com

                                  I tried to peddle these tales to appropriate magazines, such as the S&D Reflector of the Ohio River Museum, The PA Heritage Magazine of the PA Museum Commission, etc. None were interested.

                                  I would appreciate your comments/corrections/additions and especially any photos and tales of my steamboat captains and their boats.

                                  Fran Nash