Re: [civilwarwest] new member

  • Donald Pontious
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2009
      On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:52 AM, <georgeraitt@...> wrote:

      Yes, im a new member to this group from Aberdeen, Scotland. Could you give me the names of books to get me started regarding the civil war, nothing too heavy at the moment, just for the beginner.
      thanks
      george

      "Eyewitness to the Civil War" from National Geographic will give an overview.

      Don

    • Martin Winser
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2009

        Hi Don!

        For starters I'd reccomend the Shelby Foote 'Civil War' trilogy and Fletcher Pratt 'Ordeal by Fire' - both might be a bit dated now but both are 'ripping yarns' and make a damn good read.

        Regards

        Martin W.

        To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 27, 2009
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...> wrote:

          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, georgeraitt@ wrote:
          > >

          > > Yes, im a new member to this group from Aberdeen, Scotland. Could
          > you give me the names of books to get me started regarding the civil
          > war, nothing too heavy at the moment, just for the beginner.
          > > thanks
          > > george
          >

          > I have yet to find anything as good and complete and as wonderful a
          > read as Shelby Foote's Trilogy. It may be close to three thousand
          > pages, but every one of them is a delight to read.
          >
          > If one wishes to know and love the history of the American civil war
          > this would be the one work to read. One may later wish to become a
          > Civil War scholar and and delve into historiography and challenge
          > minute details and the proper handling of sources (primary,
          > secondary, tertiarary etc.
          >
          > My second choice would be McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom". It
          > is only one volume and meets with the approval of professional
          > historians. Even so it is well written and very enjoyable to read.
          >
          > Both are very even handed in their approach. I would say if you are
          > more interested in the military side Foote would be the better bet.
          > If you are more interested in Political and moral issues Mcpherson
          > would be the choice.
          >
          > Bill Bruner
          > _______________________________________
          > > AOL Email goes Mobile! You can now read your AOL Emails whilst on
          > the move. Sign up for a free AOL Email account with unlimited
          > storage today.
          > >
          >George,
          As a kid one of the first set of books to spark my interest was Bruce
          Catton's trilogy on the Army of the Potomac, "The Coming Fury"
          "Terrible Swift Sword" and "Never Call Retreat." For a general
          overview, Bruce Catton's "The Civil War" would be a good choice.
          Amazon has both the trilogy as a boxed set and "The Civil War" in
          paperback. Good luck on your search.

          Al Savage.
        • swan_pat_estelle
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27, 2009
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "savage.albert"
            <savage.albert@...> wrote:

            > >George,
            > As a kid one of the first set of books to spark my interest was Bruce
            > Catton's trilogy on the Army of the Potomac, "The Coming Fury"
            > "Terrible Swift Sword" and "Never Call Retreat." For a general
            > overview, Bruce Catton's "The Civil War" would be a good choice.
            > Amazon has both the trilogy as a boxed set and "The Civil War" in
            > paperback. Good luck on your search.
            >
            > Al Savage.

            George,
            I strongly agree with Al's comments. Catton's trilogy is interesting,
            just the right amount of detail for a start, and is written in a
            memorable fashion. The single volume gives a quick and easily read
            overview. I know folks who quote from these books in conversations
            almost 50 years after reading them!
            Pat Swan