Re: [civilwarwest] Re: new member

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
      Echoing Bill Bruner's recommendation.

      Foote's trilogy is widely published and likely not expensive. Set aside plenty of time because once you start reading it, you will not want to stop.

    • hank9174
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
        I recommend `The Blue and the Gray', Henry Steele Commager's 1957
        treatment through the eyes of the participantsÂ…

        HankC

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Sweetsstar@... wrote:

        > Bell Wileys two books The Story of Johnny Reb and the Story of
        Billy Yank
        > are two books I read when I first got started. They give a great
        view of the
        > common soldier . Willey wrote the Story of Johnny Reb first. At
        the time
        > he could still interview old soldiers for the book.
        >
        > Susan
        > **************Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax
        professional in your
        > neighborhood today.
        > (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=Tax+Return+Preparation+%
        26+Filing&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000004)

      • John D. Beatty
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
          Starting literally from scratch...McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom would have the best grounding in American history leading up to it.

          ___________________________
          John D. Beatty
          Co-Author of "What Were They Thinking" from Merriam Press/Lulu
          "History is our only test for the consequences of ideas"

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
            Hi, George -
            I would agree that Foote's book and Catton's trilogy are excellent.
            I would also suggest the book "When is the Course of Human Events,"
            by Charles Adams.

            w r branham v
            vancouver, washington

            In a message dated 2/27/2009 6:58:23 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, pbswan@... writes:

            --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "savage.albert"
            <savage.albert@ ...> wrote:

            > >George,
            > As a kid one of the first set of books to spark my interest was Bruce
            > Catton's trilogy on the Army of the Potomac, "The Coming Fury"
            > "Terrible Swift Sword" and "Never Call Retreat." For a general
            > overview, Bruce Catton's "The Civil War" would be a good choice.
            > Amazon has both the trilogy as a boxed set and "The Civil War" in
            > paperback. Good luck on your search.
            >
            > Al Savage.

            George,
            I strongly agree with Al's comments. Catton's trilogy is interesting,
            just the right amount of detail for a start, and is written in a
            memorable fashion. The single volume gives a quick and easily read
            overview. I know folks who quote from these books in conversations
            almost 50 years after reading them!
            Pat Swan

            .

            0.0.011134.9570R:00ac2069 V:1058.3bc5.1.16.1.1.US S:CELTSOC [m4]US S:TEAZNHOT35 [mN]]]0